Wellness > Mental Health

How to Get Out of a Rut: 3 Ways to Get Back on Track

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Most students have found it extremely difficult to adjust to online classes, and as the weather gets colder and the days get shorter, things aren’t getting any easier. This is often the point in the semester when everyone wants to throw in the towel and lie in bed all day. Unfortunately, this is also when classes start to pick up in preparation for finals. If you have found yourself to be especially unmotivated lately, you are not alone! Here are 3 simple and effective ways to get yourself out of a rut and back on track to finish the semester off strong:

Focus on one day at a time

When we’re stressed out, it is easy to become overwhelmed by thinking too far ahead into the future. Just because you have a final exam coming up for your math class in a month does not mean you have to start stressing about it now! Make a to-do list every day that allows you to slowly chip away at work for all of your classes and other priorities. This way, you’ll find that your daily work will become a lot more manageable, and you won’t feel as overwhelmed and inclined to hide in your bed as a result.

Prioritize self-care

Sometimes, getting trapped in a rut results in sacrificing other important things like self-care and hygiene. It feels so much easier to lie in bed all day, right? That’s totally understandable, but even completing your skin care routine or taking a bath can make you feel a million times better. Self-care comes in so many different forms, and is never meant to be tedious! Some easy ideas include: calling a friend or family member, cooking your favourite meal, going for a walk, or even putting on your favourite outfit. 

Set goals for yourself

Creating short-term and long-term goals for yourself is a great way to get out of a rut, because it offers more purpose and direction in your life. Short-term goals, such as attending all your online lectures for the current week, are great because you are rewarded quickly for your efforts. This is an amazing way to motivate yourself to get through the week! On the other hand, long-term goals are sure to keep you excited about the promise of the future. Either way, setting attainable goals for yourself will help you get out of bed in the morning, and add sustainable change to your life.  

Getting out of a rut and back on track with a motivated and healthy lifestyle is difficult, but it’s important to know that it’s definitely possible! You will get back on track, and everything will be okay. Try incorporating one of these tips into your life each week, and don’t forget – the holidays are fast approaching, and you will get your much-deserved break soon!

Thalia is a third year English and Communications student at McMaster, also pursuing a minor in Music. When she isn't busy writing essays, you can usually find her exploring a new trail, figure skating, or organizing her Spotify playlists. She is excited to be one of the Campus Correspondents for Mac's brand new chapter!