samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Stress, Stress and More Stress: Surviving Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

There were many things on my mind during the first few weeks of college. Surprisingly, midterms wasn’t one of them. As soon as my first professor mentioned midterms, I became stressed out, and needed an Advil because of the thought gave me a headache!

College midterms are stressful because they are completely different than high school midterms. When I was in high school I never became stressed out, because I always knew I had the final to help boost my overall grade. Now? I cannot help but get worked up thinking about my final grades right around the corner!

I had no idea what to expect as far as how the test would be structured. But after taking the first test, I was prepared, Here are a few things I learned.

Ask your professor what the test will consist of.

There is no way you can prepare for a test without knowing what it will be on. Asking your professor what subjects will be covered on the test helps a lot! (Trust me, I know.) It’s always worthwhile to ask how many multiple choice questions (if there are any) will be on the test, as well as how many short answers and essays.

Review what you know, Study what you don’t.

Don’t spend hours studying things you already know. Instead, use that time to study those concepts you’ve always had trouble with. If you need help, ask friends who have taken the class before, and still can recall the material. I can be the type of person who is too embarrassed to ask for help. But Over the years I have learned that it would be even more embarrassing to fail a class because I’m too proud to ask for help!

Don’t overdo it.

Yes, it is important to study, but no it is not necessary to overdo it. Study! But remember to relax. It is important to give your mind as much time to relax, as it is to study.

Do what works best for you

Everyone’s study habits are different. What works  best for your friends might not work well for you. Find a system that helps you  get things done efficiently while also being focused. 

Most importantly: BE POSITIVE.

Be positive! If you think you’re going to fail then you are already putting yourself in a mindset to not be at your full potential.  You cannot expect to get an A with the mindset that you’re going to get an F!

Shunquell Dennis is one big marching band geek, or so she use to be. Now she is a freshmen majoring in English/Communications with a double concentration in Broadcast Media and Journalism at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts. When she's not doing homework, she loves to strum tunes on her Ukulele or re-watch episodes of Breaking Bad with her boyfriend. Everyday she aspires to to be as straight forward and honest as Gordan Ramsay because she strongly believes honesty is the best policy.
Harmony Birch is not a tree, a guitar, or a female professor living in the UK. She is a student with a journalism concentration minoring in Arts Management and Women's Studies at MCLA, who tries to fully embrace the neurotic, workaholic New England lifestyle. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus MCLA, Harmony is the Managing Editor at The Beacon, and President of Students for a Democratic Society. When she's not writing articles or being an activist , Harmony can be found working on Shakespeare shows with Yorick, idolizing Willow from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or waiting (not so patiently) for her Hogwarts letter.