kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Learning How to Survive College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

High schools prepare students for the academic rigor of college, but it’s no secret that they ultimately fail in preparing students for the  challenge of living independently. It’s one of the most overwhelming aspects of being a college freshman, and you might not know where to begin. However, after establishing a routine and some guidelines for your new college life, you will find that you are more than capable of maintaining a responsible lifestyle that leaves room for fun. Here are ten important tips and tricks to start the year off right!

1.  Open a bank account. As a college student, it’s crucial to have a checking account. You can open a free account at almost any bank. TD Bank, in particular, has a Student Checking Account option, which is ideal for full-time students under the age of 24. They provide free online and mobile banking, so you can check your account balance easily to make sure you aren’t spending too much. Many banks will also allow you to open a joint account with a parent, so that they can send you emergency money if and when you need it.

2.  Make a budget. There’s a good chance you aren’t going to have a lot of spending money, so it’s important to budget carefully so that you have enough for the essentials and some left over for fun activities. If you’re lucky enough to have a job, calculate how much you make every month. Set aside a certain amount for food, school supplies and textbooks, and other essentials; then make sure you have a small reserve set aside for fun activities, like going to dinner with your friends or taking a trip to the mall.

If you don’t have a job, figure out how much money you have in the bank, and decide how much you are willing and able to spend every month. Do your best to stick to your budget! If you run out of money for food, or you can’t afford to go out with friends, you’ll be disappointed that you wasted your money on things you didn’t need.

3. Shop smart. If you’re not careful, you’ll end up spending a lot of money on food and essentials. However, shopping at places like Aldi (there are locations in Pittsfield and Bennington, VT) can save you a lot of money! Aldi features a wide variety of inexpensive generic products that are just as good as name-brand. Wal-Mart also has good prices, and you can find almost anything you need there. You can also look online and in your local paper for coupons to help save money.

4. Spend your time wisely. You’re going to have a lot on your plate as a college student. You’re probably going to be taking at least four classes per semester, but you’ll also want to involve yourself in on-campus clubs and activities. It’s important to balance your time between activities and academics, so you can fully enjoy college life.

Prioritize your schoolwork and make sure that it gets done before involving yourself in other activities. Set aside a block of time every day to complete work. Don’t procrastinate, either. Doing your work last-minute will only cause stress, and it probably won’t be your best work. It’s helpful to invest in a planner so you can write a schedule for yourself every day or every week. It will help you remember all the things you have to do, and to manage it in the little time you have.

5. Get on a regular sleep schedule. While balancing your busy life, it’s important to remember to get enough sleep. Try to get seven to eight hours every night. Sleep plays a crucial role in both long and short-term memory integration, so sleeping enough will lead to being a more successful student in the classroom. You also don’t want to start a busy day feeling groggy–wake up energized! Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.

6.  Eat right. Do your best to eat three meals a day, so that you have enough power to keep going all day long. In addition to eating three meals, try to have a balanced diet. Include fruits and vegetables, and limit the amounts of fried, fatty or sugary foods you’re consuming every day. Choose healthy snacks whenever possible. Carry an apple or a granola bar with you in your bag in case you’re hungry between meals. Don’t forget to stay hydrated, too!

7. Find fun things to do. After a while, you’re bound to get bored when you’re all cooped up in your dorm. Make a list of fun things you can do in your free time and on weekends. You can have game night with friends, walk into town for lunch, dinner, or ice cream, take the shuttle to Wal-Mart or the mall,  have coffee at The Parlor, go to Mass MoCA (you get in free with your student ID!), cook a meal or bake cookies in the kitchen, have movie marathons, or—if you’re lucky enough to have a friend with a car—have everyone pitch in for gas money and go on a day trip to Pittsfield, Albany, or Bennington! Get creative and do something fun and different every time. Remember that your RA will also hold fun events, and look out for posters advertising other fun things to do on campus.

8. Keep an eye out for important campus resources. Make sure you find important places on campus that can help you in a variety of different situations. Make sure you know where Health Services is in case you get sick. Find Public Safety, and know the number in case of an emergency. Know where to find the RAs and RASMs on campus. They’re equipped to answer almost any question you might have about any aspect of campus life. Learn your professors’ office hours for when you need extra help. Know who your advisor is and schedule meetings with them to arrange your class schedule, ask them any questions you might have, and to find out how to get help when you need it. Find places to print in Murdock Hall and the library. Know how to access Canvas, your Office 365 email, and Banner.

9. Take some time for you. At times, you’re probably going to be stressed and overwhelmed, and that’s okay. It’s normal. Make sure to set aside a small block of time every day to relax by yourself. Read a chapter of a book, watch an episode of your favorite series on Netflix, or take a nap. It’s okay to take a little break, and it’s good for you too.

10. Set goals and do your best. As a busy and fabulous collegiette, there’s no doubt you want to be successful in everything you do. Set goals for yourself to meet at every step along the way. They can be little goals such as, “get up on time tomorrow,” or larger goals such as, “make the Dean’s List.” Setting goals is a great motivational technique. No matter what, remain optimistic and do your best in every new challenge you take on. If you do that, you are sure to have a great semester filled with successes and experiences you will remember for the rest of your life!

Emily Meidenbauer has five published young adult novels, which can be found on Amazon, Createspace, and Barnes and Noble online. She is a junior at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts where she majors in Elementary Education and English with a concentration in creative writing. She also enjoys playing in a string band with her best friend and boyfriend. When she is lucky enough to have free time, she enjoys obsessively watching The Office while drinking one of her 150 varieties of tea. No, really. 150.