4 places in North Adams to fit your fitness needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

Let’s face it: being healthy is hard. It’s even harder when you aren’t sure what’s available around you. It’s time to change that! If you’re in the North Adams area and you want to get yourself into shape, here’s a handy list of some of the things in town.

Eat to Total Health

You’ve probably passed by this place on Ashland Street downtown. What you probably didn’t know is that this place is both a restaurant for all kinds of sensitivities (gluten free, dairy free, soy free,  vegan, etc) and a fitness service. They make meal plans for any need, whether you’re recovering from a food-based ailment or just wanting to lose weight. Eat to Total Health provides muscle testing, juice cleanses and lectures as well as delivery services for all their nutritious foods. If you’re interested, you can find more information here.

Planet Fitness

Yes, we have one! This cost-effective gym is located close to the movie theater and is a great option if you’re on the go. Plans start as low as $10 a month, giving you have access to an impressive array of equipment and an unlimited amount of personal training. The local Planet Fitness is open seven days a week (for limited hours on holidays) and opens as early as 4:30 in the morning. With so much to offer and so little to lose, this place is definitely on my list of places to check out. You can find out more for yourself on their website.

North Adams Yoga

This little gem lies on Holden Street. Located next to Public Eat + Drink,  North Adams Yoga offers yoga classes at every level, from beginner to advanced. It also has hot,  mommy and me, and aerial yoga as well as private lessons and general fitness classes. If the gym isn’t your thing and you want something lighter that will give you extra energy, I would consider taking this route. Single classes are worth $14, while a month is about $100. The studio makes it easy to schedule sessions by offering an online option and lets you know exactly how long classes are to help you make your well-being a priority. You can contact them here.

Berkshire Tae Kwon Do

As a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, I can safely say that getting into martial arts is worth it. You may not exactly be like the people in the movies, but the first time you break a board with a side kick, you’ll feel like you are. Berkshire Tae Kwon Do is located in the lower floors of the Holiday Inn on Main Street and offers classes for children, teens and adults. If you’re looking for a place to start your journey into martial arts, or just want to try something a little different, this place may be the way to go. From personal experience, I can tell you that learning Tae Kwon Do is a great way to learn self-discipline and respect, as it’s based on controlling yourself and listening to your superiors. Many children with behavioral problems have benefited from sticking with the martial art and I know quite a few people who still make it a priority. If you’re interested in learning more, feel free to contact them.

And there you have it! Four local places to fulfill all your healthy interests. Tell me about your experiences! Post below and let me know if there was something I missed.

Molly is a senior at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts. When she's not pursuing an English degree she's either writing or thinking about writing. Passionate about the craft since she could hold a pencil, Molly gravitates toward prose and poetry. She's got a lot to say about a lot of things, and her need to create carries over to several other platforms. She's a sucker for books, video games, YouTube and nonprofits, and wants to be able to work in them all. Her dream is use her voice to make a living, though it's unknown what she'll attempt first.
Mitchell Chapman is a young journalist looking to make a name for himself. He's been published in The Berkshire Eagle, Bennington Banner, Brattleboro Reformer and the Huffington Post and was the editor of his school's newspaper, The Beacon, after serving first as A & E Editor and then Managing Editor. He is a big science fiction fan, and is known for his quips on the blockbuster movie industry. He is a proud brother of the Sigma Chi Beta fraternity.