This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Recently, spirituality has been a hot topic amongst the demographic of young womxn. Specifically working with energy, interacting with nature, and connecting with our higher selves has led to a spiritual, feminist movement. Throughout this newfound interest in spiritual practices, many people have turned to crystals and meditation to improve personal mental health. Learning about crystals and meditation has led social media users out of 2020 with new hope and motivation for improving mental health issues such as anxiety and depression. But, how can we translate what we see online into our real-life routines? Integrating the use of crystals and meditation into our everyday lives is a great way to work on our mental health as we head into a new term at McGill. Below are 5 tips on how to use crystals to improve your mental health this term!

1. Choosing The Right Crystals

Determine your personal intentions before deciding which crystals to use. If you are looking to improve self-love, confidence, and descrease stress, Rose Quartz is the crystal for you. If you are focused on connecting with your higher-self and launching greater wisdom, Amethyst is best. If you are concerned with focusing during a Zoom or the beginning of midterms, try Blue Calcite for clarity in writing  or Fluorite for memory aid, decision making, and academic pursuits. 

2. Cleansing Your Crystals

Some crystal users believe that cleansing your crystals will assist in strengthening their abilities. There are many ways to do this including smoke-cleansing with incense (using materials from non-closed practices), sunlight or moonlight, or simply running clean water over crystals such as Quartz or Amethyst. 

crystals and herbs on a wooden plate
Photo by Joanna Kosinska from Unsplash

3. Set Your Intentions

Once you have chosen which crystal aligns with your emotional or spiritual goals, it is important you set your intentions for its use. While holding the crystal, think about how you would like it to benefit you. For example, if you have Rose Quartz, think about your intentions of improving your self-image, spreading and receiving love to and from those around you, and releasing emotions of anxiety and stress.   

4. Where to Place Your Crystals

Put your crystals in the space you occupy most in your home. This may be on your desk where you work, in your living room, or on the bedside table in your bedroom. Simply having your crystals in your space within sight will remind you of your personal intentions associated with the crystal, aiding in your daily activities. Crystals that are safe to be in sunlight can be placed on a bright windowsill.   

5. Meditating With Your Crystals

Finally, in order to make full use of your crystals and their benefits, hold them during mindful practices such as meditation, or breathing exercises. This will allow you to focus on the intentions you set for your crystal and connect with the crystal’s healing energies. In this way, your crystal serves as an aid during practices such as meditation that improve mental health. 

Woman doing yoga meditation on brown parquet flooring
Photo by Jared Rice from Unsplash
Information Obtained From:

[ http://www.thebookofstones.com/ ]

[ https://www.therockstore.ca/ ]

[ https://www.headspace.com/meditation/benefits ]

Sophia is currently in her second year at McGill University studying English - Cultural Studies and Art History. She loves trips to art galleries and museums and keeping up with the latest in film.