As McGillians, we are currently sitting on the edge of an abyss. We are close to finishing up our classes, and although that means no more 8:30s, it does mean that finals are just around the corner. Like Harvey Dent says in The Dark Knight, “it is always darkest before the dawn,” (I might be paraphrasing) but finals are a very dark, ominous cloud between us and winter break. This stress is doubled when we remember that McGill starts exams two days after classes end (Thank you, McGill administration). Though everything may seem gloomy right now, here are some ways to brighten your outlook, shake things up, and refresh your brain before finals start on December 9th.
- Colour your heart out: Everyone has probably heard about the new therapeutic colouring craze–if you haven’t heard it, you’ve probably seen it on Instagram–and for good reason too! Colouring has proven to be a great way to distract your brain from stress or anxiety by engaging in an all-consuming activity. Cleona Tsang interviewed PopArt McGill about colouring and all of its advantages on Her Campus earlier this month. Thanks to PopArt McGill, you are sure to find some great colouring resources on campus. If you really want to invest in your new colouring project, head to Indigo and pick your favourite from a wide variety of colouring books.
- Plan a last minute staycation: First, download the Groupon app to your smartphone. Second, look through the “Health, Beauty, and Fitness” category on the app and find amazing deals on facials, mani-pedis, and massages. If you don’t need another app, however, just visit the website. Plenty of companies in Montreal have great spa package deals on Groupon and what better way to prep yourself for finals than a spa getaway? Spas are also less crowded during the week, which allows for a lot of flexibility when it comes to our student schedules. Book in a massage now to prepare for the hours you’ll spend sitting in the 5th floor of McLennan.
- Get organised ASAP: Can’t keep track of when you have a final project, paper, or exam due in the next few weeks? Go straight to “Seeking the South,” where you can create your perfect study schedule to keep on top of your due dates. Nothing calms me down like a To-Do list with everything I am going to get done (always remain optimistic!).
- Don’t skip the grocery store: Stress may leave you thinking that you don’t have time to cook, but don’t let stress get the best of you! Food is fuel, and that means we need it to pass those grueling back-to-back exams that are coming up. Head to the grocery store and pick out your favourite, but simple foods and leave it at that. No need to get fancy, but remember to stock your fridge so that you don’t have to go hungry while writing 3 take-home essay exams.
- Go outside: No, I am not going to say you should be in the gym every day of finals (though the McGill gym is free once finals begin!), but I am saying that you should go outside and breathe in some fresh air. Go on a quick walk, clear your head, and at least try to enjoy the new snow. Far from being a waste of time, it’ll help you see beyond your current workload and it will keep you connected to the real world.
Images obtained from: