This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

It’s the end of October, and we’ve entered into the thick of midterm season. Between cramming for your three tests, working on the big paper you have due next week, and trying to stay on top of all your work in other classes, the last thing you want to worry about is having to pace around 5 floors of McLennan without finding a seat. While McLennan may be the most popular library on campus, it certainly isn’t the only one. There is a wide variety of libraries sprinkled around campus that you may or may not know about. 

Wanting to investigate this further, I decided to go on a library crawl. I visited some of the different libraries and study spots on campus, and came up with pros, cons, and some general information about each library. Read on to find out more about McGill’s libraries and see if you can discover a new favourite. 

• Birks Reading Room

If you’re looking for the quintessential, old, cozy library feel, look no further than Birks Reading Room. It’s on the second floor of the Birks Building, conveniently located at Milton and University. This is a beautiful old library and study space with lots of natural light, and a generous number of large wooden tables with individual lamps and power outlets. 

Pros:

• Very quiet
  • Located in a beautiful old building 
  • Usually has seats available

Cons: 

• Very quiet
  • Limited hours of availability
  • Because of the old wooden floors, you have to take your shoes off to enter (this may not appeal to a lot of people)

Hours: 

• Monday-Friday: 9:00am-1:00 pm, 2:00pm-5:00pm
  • Weekends: Closed

Location: 

William and Henry Birks Building, 3520 University Street

• McLennan Library

If McGill libraries were comparable to well-known Montreal clubs, McLennan would be the Tokyo of McGill– infamously known, with a high chance of running into someone you know, and can be difficult to get in sometimes. McLennan is certainly the most popular of the McGill libraries, with over 2000 seats spread over 5 floors. Each floor has a bit of a different vibe as well, so many people have a particular favourite spot that they’ll always frequent (mine are the big wooden tables overlooking lower field on floor 3). However, when the going gets rough and exam season is in full swing, you sometimes have to just take whatever seat you can get. 

Pros: 

• Ample seating and study areas
  • Lots of resources available
  • Open late (24 hours during exams)

Cons: 

• Not the nicest library in terms of decor
  • Very little natural light
  • Can be hard to find seats during peak exam season

Hours: 

Monday-Thursday: Open 24 hours

Friday: Open until midnight

Saturday: 8:00am-12:00am

Sunday: Open 24 hours from 8:00am

Location: 

McLennan-Redpath Library Complex, 3459 McTavish Street

• Redpath Library

Another humanities library attached to McLennan, Redpath certainly has a much more cheery vibe, with the brightly coloured walls and furniture, lots of natural light and more informal, group study-oriented setup. The top floor (or the Fishbowl) was newly renovated and contains a combination of individual study desks and group study tables. The bottom floor (Cybertheque) has group study pods and ample computers to serve your every need. As an added bonus, Premiere Moisson is located right next to Cybertheque, meaning the limit to study snacks does not exist. 

Pros: 

• Lots of computers and availability for group study
  • Nice decor with lots of natural light
  • Open late
  • Prime availability of food

Cons: 

• Can get too loud for individuals looking for a quiet place to study
  • Can be hard to find seats during exam season

Hours: 

Monday-Thursday: Open 24 hours

Friday: Open until midnight

Saturday: 8:00am-12:00am

Sunday: Open 24 hours from 8:00am

Location: 

• Blackader-Lauterman Library

This is the little-known architechture library located 2 floors above the Redpath fishbowl. It is quite small and extremely quiet, but there is a decent amount of individual desks with power outlets as well as larger study tables, which were made to cater to the needs of architecture students .

Pros: 

• Very quiet
  • Decent amount of seating
  • Lots of natural light and nice views 

Cons: 

• Very quiet
  • Can be hard to find seats

​Hours: 

Monday-Thursday: Open 24 hours

Friday: Open until midnight

Saturday: 8:00am-12:00am

Sunday: Open 24 hours from 8:00am

Location: 

• Islamic Studies Library
Like Birks, this library offers that coveted cozy old library feel, complete with old wooden floors and stained glass windows. Due to its level of quietness, it’s very conducive to productivity; however limited opening hours can sometimes get in the way of this. 

Pros: 
  • Very quiet
  • Beautiful old building
  • Lots of natural light

Cons: 

• Very quiet
  • Limited opening hours

Hours: 

Monday-Thursday: 9:00am-9:00pm

Friday: 9:00am-5:00pm

Saturday: 12:00pm-6:00pm

Sunday: Closed

Location: 

Morrice Hall, 3485 McTavish Streetu

• Marvin Duchow Music Library

If big windows, natural light, and modern decor is your jam, look no further than the Marvin Duchow Music Library. Located on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th floors of the Elizabeth Wirth Music Building, the music library has a different volume zone on each floor, from talking, to whispering, to complete silence. The library offers individual carrels, as well as large desks and comfy couches with views of Sherbrooke.

Pros:

• Varying levels of noise, so choose your own adventure
  • Lots of natural light
  • Always seats available
  • Next to RVC

Cons: 

• Slightly out of the way of main campus
  • Not particularly charming or cozy
  • Not open super late 

Hours:

Monday-Thursday: 9:00am-11:00pm9

Friday: 9:00am-6:00pm

Saturday: 10:00am-6:00pm

Sunday: 12:00pm-11:00pm

Location: 

Elizabeth Wirth Music Building, 527 Sherbrooke Street West

• Schulich Library of Science and Engineering

This is also one of the more popular libraries on campus, and even if it’s not your go-to study spot, every person has probably studied at Schulich at least once in their McGill career. It’s a pretty reliable library, with 4 floors of quiet study seating, which can get busy during exams. If you’re not an engineering or science student though, studying at Schulich might leave you feeling a bit out of place. 

Pros: 

• Convenient location in the middle of campus
  • Open 24 hours during exams
  • Lots of resources and a combination of group and silent study areas

Cons: 

• Gets busy during exam season and can be hard to find a seat

Hours: 

Monday-Thursday: Open 24 hours

Friday: Open until 12:00am

Saturday: 10:00am-12:00am

Sunday: 24 hours from 10:00am

Location: 

Macdonald-Stewart Library Building, 809 Sherbrooke Street West

• Nahum Gelber Law Library

This library is my personal favourite. It is a modern building, while retaining a cozy vibe. There are 5 floors of study spaces to choose from, each offering a slightly different environment. It is usually very quiet, but not too quiet, with ample plugs and desks; however it can get busy during peak exam season. It is slightly out of the way from campus (located near Stewart Bio) but is a great option for those students who live west of campus. 

Pros: 

• Open 24 hours during exams
  • Good level of quiet
  • Wide variety of desks and study environments

Cons: 

• Out of the way of main campus
  • Can get busy

Hours: 

Monday-Thursday: Open 24 hours

Friday: Open until midnight

Saturday: 10:00am-12:00am

Sunday: 24 hours from 10:00am

Location: 

Nahum Gelber Law Library, 3660 Peel Street

Hopefully this gives you a good idea of the different atmospheres of some well-known and little-known libraries around campus. But don’t just take my word for it- a library crawl is a great way to get to know your favourite study spots, see more of campus, and also switch up the scenery when pulling those long study sessions late into the night

Sources obtained from: 

https://www.mcgill.ca/library/services/studyareas/quiet/#ISL

http://www.mcgill.ca/library/files/library/channels/image/mclennan2014.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a0/McGill_University_Li…

http://news.library.mcgill.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/PB026334.jpg

https://www.mcgill.ca/files/photos/200607_01.jpg

http://publications.mcgill.ca/reporter/files/2012/11/12-Islamic_web.jpg

https://www.mcgill.ca/files/photos/front_20080416_9489a.jpg

https://aoc.mcgill.ca/sites/aoc.mcgill.ca/files/gelber.jpg

•  
Maya is a first-year student at McGill University with a passion for social justice and international relations. When she isn't writing, she can be found traveling, swimming, or desperately thinking of ways to make her bio more interesting.