WhatsMyM3: App to Measure Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Most people would say that college is the best four years of your life. But what those people neglect to mention, is the stress that ensues as a natural aspect of the college experience.

A multitude of studies have been conducted that prove adolescents in their early 20s are most susceptible to developing mood or anxiety disorders. In fact, a recent study of 18 to 29-year-old proved the following: 56 percent say they often feel anxious, 33 percent often feel depressed and 65 percent say “this time in my life is full of uncertainty.”

WhatsMyM3 is a revolutionary Smartphone application that has been medically proven to detect depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). The test can be taken online or on an Apple iPhone and Android Smartphone.

The application was developed by former doctors from the National Institute of Mental Health and has the ability to screen for four mental health issues at once. It is currently the only screen that gives patients a mental health number so that patients can monitor their health similar to the way they monitor their cholesterol or blood pressure.

By learning “WhatsMyM3”, your primary care physician can more accurately diagnose your mental health. The test requires that you fill out a three-minute questionnaire to which your results are reported immediately.

A primary score of 33 or greater indicates a significant risk of a mood or anxiety disorder. Also reported are four sub-scores, reflecting the individual’s risk for each of the four major conditions, so one can get targeted professional care.

Pamela S. Hyde, head of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration said, “Mental illnesses can be managed successfully, and people do recover.”

Not only do mental illnesses exist alone, Hyde said, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity are often worsened by coexisting mental illnesses. 

WhatsMyM3 primary and sub-scores can be shared with a primary care of mental health professional that can then provide proper treatment and track progress. The application also screens for potential risk of suicide and substance abuse and offers hotline access with immediate instructional support.

WhatsMyM3 is perfect for people who are currently taking medication but I feel as though no progress has been made, people who feel their quality of life and physical is diminishing because of mood swings or anxiety symptoms, military veterans and their family members who are trying to assimilate post deployment or people who wan tot improve work performance and lower their health costs.

There are have been medical breakthroughs in the last century in monitoring blood pressure and cholesterol in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Now, in three minutes you can learn how to better care for your mental health and live a healthy and happy life physically and mentally.

Check out the graphic below for the M3 website and QR code!

Photo Credits: 
(Top): http://whatsmym3.com/
(Bottom): M3 Advertisement