Wellness

Take a Break and Relax: Self Care Tips From College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

College life can get stressful at times, and we tend to lose sight of ourselves. It’s important that we remember to take care of ourselves to try and stay sane. 

When we’re in college we’re focused on our academics and crossing everything off our to-do list. We tend to forget about our well-being as we get lost in the due dates. It’s very easy for us to ignore our poor state of mind until the mental breakdown hits. So, it’s time to think about ourselves.

A woman works on a computer, and the table has a coffee cup and open notebook.
Photo by Peter Olexa from Pexels

Freshman marketing major Danielle Arnold said she likes to go to the gym to help relieve stress. 

“School causes me the most stress, especially big assignments, like speeches and big exams,” Arnold said. “I would say that exercising is the best way to relieve my stress just because I really don’t think about it.”

Everyone deals with college stress differently. When your energy levels begin to decline, it’s important to just sit down and take a break. Find your own way to relax your body. No matter how easy it feels to procrastinate things like schoolwork, don’t procrastinate your mental health as well.

Girl watching Netflix
Photo by Mollie Sivaram from Unsplash

Sarah McGloin, a freshman enrolled in letters and sciences, loves to take a break by watching Netflix. 

“It takes my mind off of academics,” McGloin said. 

Sometimes getting lost in a fictional world can be a good way to forget about the stress in your own life. 

Journaling is my personal favorite remedy. Just taking five minutes out of my day to reflect on my feelings eases me. It allows me to pull the stressful thoughts from my mind, and put them onto paper instead. The saying is true, it always feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Person sitting on grass writing in journal
Photo by Stocksnap on Pixabay

Keara Bruno

Maryland '24

Hi, I'm Keara and I'm a freshman journalism major at UMD. I love all things beauty and lifestyle and I'm a huge nerd when it comes to writing!:)
Gracie is a junior journalism and public policy double major at the University of Maryland, College Park. Currently, Gracie is one of the Campus Correspondents for her chapter alongside Devon Milley.