This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Making snacks inspired by the food you can find in the dining halls

Let’s face it—we’ve all snagged a fruit on our way out of lunch with the intention of eating it later. We forget about it, it sits on our desks for a few days, and then oops! We remember it once it’s at its worse: wrinkled, bruised, and a little bit gross. What’s the yummiest way to keep this from happening? Just remember your ABCs: apples, bananas, and candied orange slices. 

Scroll through for some ideas featuring your favorite dining hall fruits for some inspiration and put that residence hall kitchenette to use!

Apple Butter

Photo by twinsfisch on Unsplash

Fall has finally arrived, so why not make some apple butter to celebrate? Apple butter recipes are totally scalable, so you can easily adjust your measurements to make a batch using two, five or even 20 apples. Methods of making apple butter are also super versatile, so feel free to break out that slow cooker you found on sale and add your own fun spin on things with add-ins. Need some ideas? Try out ‘secret ingredients’ like vanilla extract or orange zest.

Banana Bread

Photo by Whitney Wright on Unsplash

Banana bread is my go-to recipe for when I have no time, no fancy ingredients, and no patience. You really only need one bowl, some basics and, of course, a couple of overly ripe bananas. Everyone needs a good fundamental recipe (this one has been pinned to my bookmarks bar for over a year) but don’t be afraid to experiment. Plumpen some raisins by soaking them in hot water for a few minutes or chop a handful of walnuts and throw them in the batter. This staple is impossible to get wrong so go ahead and really make it yours.

Candied Orange Slices

Photo by Stephanie Studer on Unsplash

These are called candied oranges for a reason: they taste just like candy! Not only are they delicious, but candied orange slices look amazing, take a couple of minutes to prepare, and require only three ingredients: oranges, water, and sugar. With a recipe this simple, it should come as no surprise that they make the perfect gifts. After the slices get nice and dried out, wedge a few of them into a clean mason jar then decorate to your heart’s content. But don’t forget—save a few slices for yourself to eat before gifting them all away!

Photo by Christine Wehrmeier on Unsplash

Now that you have some great recipes under your belt, go try them out! For an unforgettable treat, just remember ABC: apples, bananas, and candied orange slices. After all, these ideas are just as easy as 123.

Katie D.

Maryland '23

Katie is a freshman at University of Maryland majoring in Information Systems. She loves to cook and travel, which explains why she spends every free second planning her next big meal or trip—a lot of the time, she even documents them in her features!