kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Get 10,000 Steps in a Day When You’re Lazy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Ah yes, I remember the day that I was gifted my Fit Bit.  I was so excited to wear it, sync it to my phone, and be motivated to get out and walk around more.  Little did I know, this stylish watch that reads my heart rate, number of calories I’ve burned, and the steps and distance I’ve walked would become a blessing and a curse.  When you complete 10,000 steps(or whatever allotted step count you’ve entered), the watch will buzz, light up, and –my all time favorite– sometimes show a rocket ship blasting off… So naturally I’ve become a slave to reaching my step count.  Oh yeah, and because it’s healthy and what not.

What is the significance of 10,000 steps you might ask? Well, 10,000 steps a day is the amount a person who is trying to stay physically fit or lose weight should shoot for.  Now, I’m no math major, but if I did my calculations correctly that comes out to about 5 miles a day… Yes, that is a lot if you are not a routine runner or if you are lazy like me. Well, my fellow lazy friends, here’s how you can get 10,000 steps(or close to it) every day:

~These tips are compatible with any step and distance measuring watches, not just Fit Bits (: ~

1.) Establish a healthy sleep schedule.  Going to bed at a reasonable time means you can wake up earlier and have more opportunities to get those steps in! Also, an added bonus to sleeping well is that you will generally just feel better and for waking up earlier an obvious reason is BREAKFAST! 

2.) Speaking of breakfast, when it’s time for a meal try to avoid eating in your room every time. Get up, get moving, and go out! Walk down to the dining hall, across campus to the student union, or venture(on foot) into town to that restaurant you’ve been wanting to try for a while. These ~excursions~ will most definitely rack up steps with out you even realizing you’re putting in work.

3.) When walking to class, take the long way!  Yes, I know you all have found sneaky ways to cut through buildings to get to class but change that habit! A couple extra minutes added to your walk could make or break those 10,000 steps in your day. Also, a little extra fresh air never hurt anybody (:

4.) Make excuses to get up and do something… literally anything.  Your water bottle is empty? Walk to the water fountain to fill it. Still haven’t mailed that one letter? Go do that. Missed the bin when throwing out a piece of trash? Walk over and pick it up. Convinced you hear the ice cream truck? Walk outside to check, and then walk down the block just to double check because we all know that chocolate dipped cone is worth it.  The possibilities are endless, you’ll be surprised by how your laziness will diminish and your step count will get closer and closer to 10,000 when you get moving for the little things.

5.)  Last but not least, and probably the most obvious way to get steps: Working out.  Now I know what you’re thinking, “Working out and being lazy do not go hand in hand,” and I totally agree. I’m not saying you have to go to the gym and lift heavy and run for 3 hours, I’m just suggesting some light cardio.  Because step counting watches are, well, based on how many steps you take, walking or running is your best bet for a workout. What I do about 3 times a week, usually on my least hectic days, is walk or jog on the treadmill for 15-30 minutes.  This will add so many steps for your day you won’t believe it.  Plus, you’ll feel energized and content after knowing you worked out.

I hope these tips help you reach 10,000 steps a day!! 

BONUS:

Most importantly, don’t beat yourself up if you don’t reach your step goal. We all have those days… or weeks.  Just remember that there is always tomorrow to try again and that you are an active, fit idol no matter what (:

Haley Fioretti

Marquette '22

Always trying to make people smile(:
Emma McDevitt

Marquette '20

Hello, I am Emma McDevitt! I am a Junior at Marquette University and studying Marketing & Advertising.