Runners Are Happier People

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

It’s time to jump on the bandwagon for a healthier, happier you, and it’s easier than you think, for all you need is a pair of running shoes. First and foremost, if you run, you are a runner. Running is not measured by how fast or far you go, just the effort of walking out that front door and breaking into a jog. There are many scientific reasons as to why running makes you a healthier and happier person, like a spike in endorphins, the joy of being fit, and so on, but I want to address the mentality of a runner. As a runner, I will confess that there will be segments of your run or even days where you hit a slump and running seems like such a chore. Especially when you run for a team and feel like you are no longer running for you. However, it was my cousin who made a drastic change for me. Running is not a chore, it is therapy. With that being said, there are some things to simplify your run and your mind that lead to a healthier, happier you:

1: Setting: It has been said time and time again that being in nature reduces stress. Is it not the same for running in nature? Run somewhere pretty, get off the roads when possible, or plan one day a week where you can drive to a beautiful running destination. It is such a euphoric feeling to feel that breeze, the smell of nature all around you, hear birds and bugs and, most importantly, not to hear cars. Besides, plants give off oxygen, and when you’re running you need all the oxygen you can get.

2. Breathing: Channeling your breathing is therapy in its own (there are actual classes for that). The slower you breathe – believe it or not – the easier it is to run. When you breathe out you release carbon dioxide, and if you breathe too quickly you’re breathing that air right back in instead of that hardy oxygen. You should be able to talk while you run as a natural way to control your breathing and take your mind off it. With that being said…

3. Company: Running is gossip hour. Get everything you need to off your chest and feel the weight lift off of your shoulders. Talking stimulates your run and will help you move faster. Besides, the longer your story, the longer the run! If you find yourself without anything to talk about, running games are a blast and a great way to get to know someone. My personal favorite is the naming game. Ask a question (ex: what’s your favorite pie flavor?), start with one and each round you move up in quantity until 9, so round nine may be ‘name nine things you associate with going to the beach in the middle of winter.’ Creativity counts – the more unique or strange, the less you think of running and the less troubled your breathing becomes. It can also drastically change your mood from anything that may have been on your mind and weighing you down before.

4. Music: Music is a great way to amplify a run. It creates a narrative based on what kind of music you like. I personally like faster paced alternative pump-up music because I can usually match my pace with the beat of the song. However, I have friends who prefer very calm soft music to relax them. Music naturally does increase your speed and stamina as the music reacts subconsciously with your pace. For this same reason, stay away from podcasts. They’re entertaining and distracting, but the lack of fluidity and rhythm actually slows you down because your brain is working to listen but the rest of your body has no connection. Ironically enough, I learned not to listen to podcasts while running from a podcast about listening to podcasts…while running.

5. Inspiration: Something needs to be your motivation. Whether you run to lose weight, stay fit, run a race down the road, or simply say your goal is to keep someone company as they strive for their goal. What gets you up in the morning? What gets those shoes on and what gets you to run one more mile than you had planned? If you’re at a loss of what to use as motivation, I encourage you to use mine. I run because I can, and I run for those who can’t. I was given the simple ability to walk that so many of us take for granted. I run for those who would give anything to stand on their own two feet. I do not take my ability to run for granted and I push myself harder every day to prove that. I run for them and they inspire me to keep going when I’m tired, just because I can.

So, just to recap. Being in nature decreases stress levels, and alleviates your tensions. Practicing good breathing habits reduces excess anxiety and gets your blood flowing to your heart and your brain. Running with a friend makes the time go by, gets your built up frustration out and motivates you to get out there. And inspiration is the core ingredient to being consistent with running practices and succeeding in your training. Running puts you on track for success in your health and your mental game. What are you waiting for? Keep your mind and body sharp and pull out those flashy running shoes.  

Hi, I'm Roxy, I am a double major in studio art and advertising at Marist College with big dreams and an even bigger cup of coffee to make sure everything goes according to plan. I am a high promoter in self enhancement and have remodeled the practice in a more appealing way with a more appealing name. Many of my works focus on this practice of "Identity Toning" and an overall healthy happy life. Life is not all rainbows and butterflies but someone who can push through dark clouds and hurdle obstacles comes out better and stronger on the other side. I write to inspire new mindsets on how we see life and approach our problems, and meanwhile, let my ideas flow freely.