Career

5 Easy Steps Towards Smashing Your Next Zoomterview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

1. Dress to Impress

You may be used to rolling out of bed for your 8:00 a.m.’s in your college hoodie and comfiest sweatpants, but the morning of your interview is not the time to sleep in!

Just as you would dress up for an in-person meeting, you need to dress up (at least from the waist up) for your virtual interviews as well. 

First impressions are everything during the interview process. It is vital to present yourself as polished and professional. Make sure you are dressed according to your prospective company’s dress code, and you are set up in a quiet, well-lit environment with a clean and simple background. 

Finally, before you begin, double-check your sound quality and Internet connection. You don’t want to waste any time on easily preventable glitches!

2. Lockdown Your Elevator Pitch 

You never know what an interviewer may spring on you, but it is almost guaranteed they will start by asking, “tell me about yourself.” 

What seems like the easiest question, can often be the hardest to answer. But, it doesn’t have to be!

In fact, there is a simple formula to showcase your personality, work ethic, and skills. Who are you? Why are you qualified? And, why you are interested? 

The days leading up to your interview are a great time to review these standard get-to-know-you questions by reciting your answers in front of your mirror or filming a self-tape.

By the time you get to your zoom call, it will be second nature. You won’t make the mistake of leaving out any important points while appearing confident, collected, and oh-so-cool.

3. Do Your Research 

You’re NOT cyberstalking your potential company? Then giiiiirl you are doing it wrong!

Companies look for employees with insight and passion. 

Spend some time research the brand’s history, messaging, products, and partnerships to find an aspect of the company that you can connect to and elaborate on during your interview. 

4. Share Your Success

Think of your interview as your five minutes of fame. This is your time leave it all on the table and walk out with no regrets. Do not short-sell your accomplishments or settle for one-line explanations of your past leadership roles. 

Take the time to explain the trials and tribulations you have encountered, and offer a holistic view of who you are as an individual and as an employee. 

However, it is equally important to note when enough is enough. Your employer wants to hear about your passions and past experiences, but they do not need to hear your whole life story.

If you notice your interviewer becoming disengaged or uninterested, divert the conversation back to them with a question about the company or their career. 

5. Questions First, Goodbyes’ Second 

As your interview comes to a close and you are asked, “do you have any questions?”, never say no! 

Stellar follow up questions include:

• “What does success in this position look like?”
  • “What does a typical day look like in this position?”
  • “What are the biggest challenges one may face in this position?”

Remember, as much as the company is interviewing you, you are interviewing them too. 

These simple questions allow you to get a sense of the workplace environment and leave the interviewer with a positive final impression of your work ethic and passion for the job at hand. 

When she's not scrolling through Instagram or using her kitchen counter as a ballet barre, Brooke is a Journalism and Public Relations student at Marist College. Seeing the impact she has been able to have on young girls through dance and gymnastics, and the lessons they have taught her in return, has encouraged Brooke to focus her messages on female empowerment. See more from Brooke on Instagram @brooke.alexis1128