This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Now more than ever, teenagers and adults just can’t seem to put their phones down. They are on it for work, communicating with friends and family, or just scrolling through social media. A New York Times post even stated a scary statistic that both teens and adults check their phones approximately 150 times a day, or every 6 minutes! This obsessive amount of screen time is not only bad for physical health, but for mental and social health as well. Here’s why you should pick your head up from your phone and focus more on the world unplugged:

Physical Benefits:

Staring at a screen all day can cause several impairments to your physical health, including eye strain and sleeping problems. Catching up with your friends over a coffee date instead of a FaceTime call, or going for a hike instead of scrolling through Instagram, are great alternatives to help alleviate the decline of your physical health due to excessive screen time. 

Mental Benefits:

Ever feel insecure, jealous, or lonely after seeing a post on social media? Have a fear of missing out? Feel pressured to look a certain way? If you answered yes to any of these questions, it is most likely because of your smartphone! Especially through social media, but also through texts and emails, several teens and adults can feel left out or not good enough, and constantly having your head in your phone worsens these feelings. Spending less time exposed to these photos, texts, and posts will help clear your mind of any negative thoughts and focus more on the positive. 

Social Benefits:

It seems more and more people tend to just text someone instead of talk to them in person or even call them. This is leading to a lack of personal relationships and communication skills. Don’t let your phone stop you from engaging in in-person conversations and meeting up with friends and family more often. 

Ways to Unplug from Your Phone:

Unplugging or reducing your screen time can be a lot simpler than it sounds. Here are some ideas to take some time off from your daily screen time and some activities you can complete instead of scrolling:

• putting your phone away or on silent

• designating a tech free time or place

• having a tech bedtime

• taking a break from social media

• committing to zero technology the first hour you are awake

• going old school (flip phone instead of smartphone)

• read a book or keep a journal instead of scrolling

• involve your friends

• live in the moment

• leave your phone behind when you go somewhere

I hope these facts and ideas encourage you to spend a little less time plugged in and more time enjoying the screen-free world around you!

Casey Schellberg

Manhattan '23

Casey is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Childhood Education with concentrations in math and psychology. In her spare time, she enjoys hanging out with friends, shopping, and exploring NYC. Casey is also a part of Manhattan’s cheerleading team and serves as an RA on campus. She is loving her home as a Jasper at MC and cannot wait to see what the upcoming years bring!
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!