Life > Experiences

Positive Affirmations to Tell Yourself This Semester 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

The fall semester has just begun and school, work, and personal lives are all mixing. It is important to take a moment and recite some positive affirmations to remind yourself that things are going to be OK. You can do this!

1. Be where your feet are. 

You can say this to yourself when feeling stressed about tomorrow. You can only control today, so be present and focus on the physical moment you are in. 

1. School does not define you. 

If you are having a stressful school week, just know this will pass and you are more than your grades. Try to have a hobby outside of school to find joy. 

1. I accept myself fully.

Loving yourself and not being critical of your flaws is crucial in getting through the semester. If you accept yourself then you will be more open to trying new things without fear of failure. 

1. I will get through this. 

Through hard times, we must remember that there are bad and good times, and both are inevitable. Learning how to manage stress and sadness with time and reflection helps to know this is not the end. 

1. I let go of what does not serve me. 

Letting go of the past and not dwelling allows for better things in the future. If your mind is thinking about the past, that is a wasted moment in the present. 

Remember to take moments for yourself and think about how to better yourself so you can be free to handle things that come your way. 

“To be “well” is not to live in a state of perpetual safety and calm, but to move fluidly from a state of adversity, risk, adventure, or excitement, back to safety and calm, and out again. Stress is not bad for you; being stuck is bad for you,” said Emily Nagoski, PhD and Amelia Nagoski, DMA from their book, Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle. 

Angelica is so excited to be the leader of this chapter as Campus Correspondent at Her Campus at Manhattan! Originally from the Jersey Shore, Angelica is a senior at Manhattan College studying communication with a concentration in journalism and a minor in French. Angelica is also Features Editor of the campus newspaper The Quadrangle, Fashion and Beauty Editor of Lotus Magazine, and Secretary of Alpha Pi Phi Sorority. She currently interns at The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in the Brand and Customer Partnerships Department. You can hear Angelica hosting Soundtrack Sunshine, as she DJ’s for Manhattan College’s radio station WRCM. When she finds the time to breathe she likes to go for walks in Van Cortland Park, hang out at An Beal with friends, and watch her roomates dance at the basketball games. Angelica loves to write about anything from her deepest darkest feelings, trendiest clothes on sale, and hot button topics. She loves to share her experiences with all of you and hopes readers can take something from her insight. She encourages anyone with a story to tell to join Her Campus and take a chance on the best girl group in college! Happy reading :)