Life > Experiences

My Go-To Orders at Riverdale Food Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Upon arriving in Riverdale for my first year at Manhattan College, I was astonished by the amount of delis and restaurants that surrounded my new home for the next four years. I have tried almost all of the delis in sight, and after a little trial and error, and a year under my belt, I have nailed my orders for all of the most popular food spots around Riverdale.

One of the best spots around Manhattan College is Jasper Deli, nicknamed “JDEL” by the local college students. It has so many amazing options for any occasion. Whether you are grabbing a quick breakfast, a filling lunch, or a drunken snack, JDEL has it all! One of my favorite breakfast sandwiches, which in my opinion is perfect for any time of day, is the “White and Green.” This delicious wrap is a lighter version of a bacon, egg, and cheese, containing egg white, turkey bacon, cheese, and avocado. You should definitely try it out!

Another favorite of mine from JDEL is the famous “Jasper Fries.” Now these should have a warning label to only eat once in a while because these fries are loaded up with chicken cutlet, buffalo sauce, melted cheese, ranch dressing, and bacon. Although it sounds like a lot, they are so good and always disappear in a flash. This meal is a total heart stopper if you know what I mean! 

One of the most fun spots is Best Deli, whose staff is incredible and their food is even better! My go-to order there is “The Downey” panini, which has chicken cutlet, mozzarella cheese, avocado, and chipotle mayo on it. It is definitely not one of the healthiest options they have there, but it sure will fill you up! I also love their smoothies, including the “Bright Day” and the “Yummy Pineapple,” which will help counteract the amount of carbs you take in after consuming that panini.

Right down the sidewalk is another frequented spot, Gourmet Market and Bagels. Their bagels are not the only great thing, the sandwiches are even better! I have been loving the Chicken Parmesan panini, a twist to one of my favorite Italian dishes. It is so flavorful and the crispy chicken cutlet with basil, mozzarella cheese, and marinara sauce always hits the spot. Sometimes I dip it in chipotle mayo, just for a little bit of spice even though it’s a weird combo. Gourmet also has a wide variety of cakes and desserts, including delicious carrot cake, cheesecake, and rich chocolate cake that will make your mouth water!

Many other places around Riverdale will always curb your hunger with their wide range of dishes. I personally love Santa Fe Grill right off of campus, which has some of the best Mexican food I have ever had. I always get the Tres Amigos Enchiladas that have chicken, pork, and cheese in them. Pair that with some guac and chips and it is a match made in heaven! Another one of my favorite restaurants is the Bronx Ale House located on 238th Street. It offers pub grub and additional American classics including their famous sliders, or as they call them “Bombers,” which can be made with either buffalo chicken, southwestern style, or the traditional cheeseburger. So good!

I encourage you to get out there and try some of these local Manhattan College favorites. 

Fiona Dunkel

Manhattan '26

Hi, I'm Fiona! I am a Psychology major and a hopeful future Psychiatrist. I am an undergrad at Manhattan College from Albany, NY. I live with my parents, a little sister named Charlotte, and a dog named Cassie. I am an avid crime show watcher and romance reader. I LOVE coffee and going to little cafes around the city to try out different drinks. I used to play very competitive soccer but stopped due to injury and now my hobbies include spending money on very expensive skincare products and buying overpriced iced lattes. I hope to study abroad within the next two years to be able to broaden my view of the world and learn more about different cultures! My dream is to go to Spain and watch a professional soccer game. My passion for writing started when I was in 3rd grade. I was constantly reading books of all genres and lengths and I wondered if I could write my own. I wrote little songs and mystery "novels," short stories, and poems whenever I could. In the sixth grade, I was recognized for my efforts and one of my poems was to be in a gallery at a nearby college. It jumpstarted my love for writing and ever since then I have constantly written down my thoughts, as well as written and published a book for my English class which was very exciting! I love writing about just about anything, especially when it comes to female empowerment and things I am interested in!