This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

The gym has become a huge part of my life recently, and one of the most important aspects of my everyday routine that keeps me healthy and happy. The gym has become less of a ‘chore’ for me, and more of something fun I look forward to each day. This past summer, I have put much more effort into my workout routine and become a much better person because of it.

I break down my workout routine by a 6x week split. You don’t have to stick to any kind of split or routine, but I find it super helpful to track my workouts and make sure I’m hitting all muscle groups throughout the week!

A split can be different for everyone, but I use this type of breakdown:

• Push day: This day consists of chest, shoulder, and tricep workouts. Push days focus on the muscles that essentially will ‘push’ during these workouts, like lateral raises or shoulder and chest presses.
  • Pull day: On pull days, your back and biceps are the targeted muscle groups. These are workouts such as bicep curls, lat pulldowns, or seated rows. As the name suggests, your muscles during these workouts are ‘pulling.
  • Leg day: Leg days can be quad, glute, or calf-focused. They can also range to full leg days with compound and functional exercises, and be broken up depending on your focus each day. 
  • Cardio and abdominal exercises

I like to start my week with a full leg day on Sundays. Targeting each muscle group twice a week has helped me become much stronger, which is one of my personal goals. I organize my weekly routine like this:

• Sunday: Leg day
  • Monday: Pull day 
  • Tuesday: Push day 
  • Wednesday: Leg day
  • Thursday: Pull day
  • Friday: Push day
  • Saturday: Cardio and abs/ Active rest day

I start each workout with a quick 10-minute walk on the treadmill to get my blood flowing. I always stretch each day to warm up my muscles and to prevent myself from injury. I find stretching and a simple warmup helps me get zoned in and have a great workout! I remain consistent with my exercises, which I think has personally increased my strength over this past summer!

Caroline is a junior Communication major, with a concentration in Public Relations and a double minor in Psychology and Sociology. She is also a member of the Sigma Delta Tau sorority. She tends to lean more towards articles about fashion, as it is a passion of hers.