This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Being someone who goes to the gym five days a week, I am at Manhattan College’s Fitness Center for a lot of my time. Going to the gym has become a major part of my routine, and it honestly is an important part of my life. I do love the gym, and the MC Fitness Center does have some really great aspects of it. However, there are some downsides as well.

One thing I love about the MC Fitness Center, is that it offers a large assortment of different types of events and classes. Whether you like yoga, Zumba, weightlifting competitions, or anything else athletic-related, the MC Fitness Center has a lot of great opportunities to take advantage of. I also enjoy the competitions they sometimes hold, such as winning a T-shirt for running a certain distance in a specific amount of time or hanging off of a pullup bar for the longest time. The MC Fitness Center also has a great girls changing room that is decorated nicely and has some pretty awesome blow dryers. When I have been to the Women’s Empowerment Hour (1:15-2:15 Tuesdays and Thursdays) it has also been a great experience as well. 

While the Fitness Center does offer a lot of great things, there are some downsides to it. Unfortunately, it is a small space (with a lot of men). Although there is a Women’s Empowerment Hour, it doesn’t fit into my schedule and is for such a short period. It would be better if this was offered at different times of the week. Sometimes it can be intimidating to work out as a woman when surrounded by men, especially when it’s really crowded. Also, since it is a smaller gym, it can be hard to find a free machine or spot to bench. 

Overall, I have personally had both good and bad experiences with the MC Fitness Center. What I do recommend is to try new things. Don’t be intimidated to go to the gym or try out a class! I have had a great time working on myself at the Fitness Center, and it is one of my favorite places to get my workout in and practice self care. 

Makenzie Swift

Manhattan '26

Makenzie is a sophomore at Manhattan College, majoring in communication and journalism. Makenzie is a writer for the Manhattan College Her Campus chapter. Makenzie covers a variety of different topics such as style guides, health and wellness advice, and spirituality. Makenzie also writes and does production for the Quadrangle Student Newspaper at Manhattan, as well as production for Lotus, the fashion magazine at MC. Makenzie loves to follow fashion trends and styles, and enjoys sharing creative ideas for fashion as well as advice for mental health and overall self care.