thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Wellness > Mental Health

How to Take Care of Your Mental Health This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Everybody has resolutions about how to take care of their body more, and it seems like physical health takes precedence over mental health, even though they are equally important. 

Having a negative mental standpoint can be absolutely detrimental to your semester. It can distract you from work, clubs, events and more. So, it is vital that we all start taking care of ourselves now, before it becomes too late. 

Here are my top five tips for taking care of your mental health this semester:

1. Don’t over plan 

It is so easy to plan your life out in time blocks for every minute of the day, but that is so unhealthy! Leave blocks of time for studying, relaxing, or just free time in general, that way, your calendar doesn’t look too stressful at a glance.

1. Meditate

Meditation is often seen as some earthy, crunchy, granola way of relaxation, but it is actually the most effective way of relaxation for me. I meditate either when I wake up or right before I go to bed, and either way, it improves my mental state either for that day or for the next. I feel relaxed, calm, and recharged, and really feel like I can take on the day. 

1. Do your assignments sooner rather than later

Procrastinating is so easy. SO easy. But the sooner you get your assignments done, the better. Procrastinating is a huge source of stress in my life, so I am actually planning to at least start all of my assignments as soon as I get them this semester. 

1. Spend time with your friends

Spending more time with your friends will not only help your mindset, but it will also just overall help your mental health. Designating time to focus on your friends will help take your mind off of your daily stressors, and will give you an escape from your problems.

1. Learn to take time for yourself

No matter what, YOU come first. That includes your mental health. Learn how to prioritize saying yes to things that improve your mental health, and say no no things that hurt it. Being able to set these priorities straight is entirely necessary for all of us, and it can definitely be hard to say no to going out with friends or joining a new club, but filling your plate too much is probably one of the worst things anyone could do for their mental health, so make sure you’re not taking too much on.

Katie Doyle

Manhattan '21

Katie Doyle is a junior at Manhattan College majoring in English with a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. She is passionate about women's issues, writing and reading, and is involved in many other clubs on campus, including the climbing club, Sigma Delta Tau, Love Your Melon, and MC Players!
As an avid lover of all things writing related, Christine is a born story-teller. She is a junior at Manhattan College majoring Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. When she’s not writing, you can find her exploring NYC, binge watching The Office, or enjoying a good cup of tea. She joined Her Campus after transferring to MC and absolutely fell in love with it! She is currently the Campus Correspondent of her chapter, and hopes her articles can entertain and inspire women everywhere. After college, she plans to continue writing and hopes to publish a book one day. Be sure to check out her college lifestyle blog Christineeve.com!