This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Angelica Niedermeyer

Have you ever felt like you were so bottled up with emotion you did not know what to do?

I certainly have. When I start to feel this way, taking out a pen and paper, a journal or even a notes document and jotting down how I am feeling can relieve some built up emotions. Journaling can be super beneficial for identifying and prioritizing concerns, making it easier to conquer them or at least get them out of my head.

When I am in the moment and forced to pick my brain, it can almost be like a type of meditation. Taking the time out of the day to journal when I need it can change my whole mood. Although a best approach would be to journal before bed or in the morning, it can be hard for me to keep to it. 

Having a physical journal I can open up at the needed time and then put away makes it a safe space. Just allowing an opportunity to talk with myself and about my day can be a really reflective outlet.

I like to make lists about anything from triggers and negative thoughts to what makes me happy and what I’m thankful for. Doing this can put situations into perspective and help me process them. 

Another reflective practice is pulling out the highs and lows of the day to break down what went down. To be hype myself, I like to write little quotes or reminders/goals for the week. Doing this expresses a motivational and supportive kind of self love. 

When I am feeling creative, I also like to write poetry and to express what I am feeling by giving myself a task. An additional idea is even writing a letter to yourself or your body could be healing. Finding prompts on the internet can also be fun to fuel your imagination.

Journaling helped my mental health by letting me write or draw out what is going on in the form of a note taking. I love doodling and getting distracted with what I am thinking about. So, completely focusing on it is listening to the little voice I keep to myself. Remember it is always important to give yourself the attention you give so easily to others!

Angelica is so excited to be the leader of this chapter as Campus Correspondent at Her Campus at Manhattan! Originally from the Jersey Shore, Angelica is a senior at Manhattan College studying communication with a concentration in journalism and a minor in French. Angelica is also Features Editor of the campus newspaper The Quadrangle, Fashion and Beauty Editor of Lotus Magazine, and Secretary of Alpha Pi Phi Sorority. She currently interns at The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in the Brand and Customer Partnerships Department. You can hear Angelica hosting Soundtrack Sunshine, as she DJ’s for Manhattan College’s radio station WRCM. When she finds the time to breathe she likes to go for walks in Van Cortland Park, hang out at An Beal with friends, and watch her roomates dance at the basketball games. Angelica loves to write about anything from her deepest darkest feelings, trendiest clothes on sale, and hot button topics. She loves to share her experiences with all of you and hopes readers can take something from her insight. She encourages anyone with a story to tell to join Her Campus and take a chance on the best girl group in college! Happy reading :)