Kellyn Simpkin-Girl Braiding Hair Fishtail Braid
Kellyn Simpkin / Her Campus
Wellness

How I Prioritize Myself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By: Mackenzie Boyce

When our lives are taken up by school, work, and spending time with others, it can be hard to find time to prioritize ourselves. I spend so much time being a people pleaser, that I can forget to please myself! In the past year, I’ve learned to make time for myself, and try my best to prioritize my feelings and mental health.

Getting Ready

I find that when I’m too busy, I can’t make time to wake up, put on makeup, and pick out a cute outfit for the day. However, going to class looking lazy makes me feel just as bad! Taking the time to wake up early and do my hair and makeup makes me feel ready for the day. Putting in the effort to get dressed every day, rather than dismissing it as too much work, can make the difference between a good or bad day. I’ve even begun getting my nails done once a month as a form of self care, because I know it makes myself feel good. You deserve to put time into yourself!

Cleaning My Room

I’ll be honest, I am definitely susceptible to having what we call a “depression room.” Taking time to better my space can feel like time wasted from doing work. I’ve come to realize, though, that a clean room brings an organized mindset. It starts with simply making your bed everyday or hanging up your clothes. Your living space deserves just as much care as you do!

Self Dates

It isn’t selfish to take yourself on dates! Let’s face it, as much as we love spending time with friends, it definitely stops us from doing everything we want to do. On days where I may not have plans, it can be nice to take a trip into the city and do the activities I’ve always wanted to do. That may be visiting a museum, going shopping, or trying a cute cafe. Anything can be a nice break from work without anybody else intervening on your plans.

Gifts for You

Now, I’m not telling you to carelessly spend all your money, but it can be nice to treat yourself every once in a while. I find that I have no problem buying gifts for others, but when it comes to purchasing items I want, I decide against it almost 99% of the time. I can walk through an entire mall without buying one thing I want. Sometimes you need to buy those shoes or that jacket you want! You can even reward yourself for your hard work or successes.

While it may be hard to find time to prioritize yourself, it’s important to provide the self-care you need. It can be anything from washing your face to going on a walk between classes. It’s important that everyone does what they can to feel good, because that’s what helps us be our best selves!

Mackenzie Boyce

Manhattan '24

Mackenzie is the Senior Editor for Her Campus at Manhattan, and loves being able to read and edit the chapter’s articles before they are published. Mackenzie is a senior at Manhattan College studying childhood and special education with concentrations in English and French. She is originally from Connecticut but loves having the opportunity to live in NYC for school. Mackenzie is also a member of the sorority Sigma Delta Tau on campus. She is also part of the education honors society, Kappa Delta Pi, and French honors society, Pi Delta Phi. She is also an admissions ambassador and can be spotted around campus giving tours to incoming students. She is also currently completing her student teaching this semester in fifth and first-grade classrooms at a local Bronx elementary school. Mackenzie loves having the ability to use writing as an outlet, whether that means writing about fashion, music, pop culture, or mental health. She is so thankful to have found a home with Her Campus at Manhattan and hopes anyone reading can gain knowledge or inspiration from her work.