This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

There’s the idea that getting fit is such a liberating experience. While it can be, it can also be very overwhelming to get started. Growing up, I had always been involved in sports and never spent time dedicated to independent workouts. When I went to college, I no longer spent my days running from practice to practice. In my first semester of college, I barely worked out; I felt sluggish and missed the rush of a good workout. From there, I started to play with the idea of going to the gym. Walking into a gym can be very intimidating though. When I first went to the gym, I didn’t know where to start. I had no idea how to use the machines or free weights and felt intimidated by those slamming their weights down and yelling about new PRs. The gym did not make me feel inspired; it made me feel weak and scared. With time, my perspective changed, and now, I look forward to going to the gym. Often, it is the highlight of my day, a time when I can let go of all my stress and just focus on myself. I am here to offer tips on how to make the gym less scary and make you feel confident to push your limits!

No one is watching you.

It can feel like everyone is fixated on you. I’ve had those thoughts. Honestly, no one cares what you are doing. So what if you are using a five-pound weight and the person next to you is using a twenty-pound weight? It can be challenging to remember that the whole world is not focused on your squat form, but you have to remind yourself that you are in the gym for YOU. Never let the fear of judgment of others stop you from doing something to better yourself. 

Establish a support system.

My amazing roommate was the person who motivated me to attend the gym. Going with her made it less stressful. When I felt anxious or didn’t know what to do, I had someone to turn to for comfort and guidance–someone who was feeling what I was feeling. Finding someone to come to the gym with you is the best way to step out of your comfort zone without feeling lost. A gym buddy can cheer you on and push you to try something new; they can support you through these challenges. 

Looking good can make you feel good.

A good outfit can do a lot; it can help you to feel like you belong. I always feel best when I am rocking an outfit that makes me feel confident and strong. There are great fitness lines from companies like Lululemon, Gymshark, and Aerie that can make you look good and feel confident enough to try something new.

Have a plan.

When going to the gym for the first time, walking in without a plan can lead to you wandering around confused with an overwhelming sense that you don’t belong there. By doing research and coming up with a set workout, you can feel more prepared and confident. There are plenty of amazing options from Instagram influencers like Whitney Simmons and Sam Taylor. There are also apps like JE Fit and Gymshark Training that offer demonstrations, examples of exercises for each body part, and even full workout plans.

Remember why you are there.

It is so easy to get engulfed by stress when you go to the gym. It is not easy to step out of your comfort zone, but it is essential to remember why you are there. Going to the gym is about you. It is about your health, feeling good, and spending time on improving yourself. It can be a great experience that can affect both your physical and mental health as long as you do not forget that you are doing a positive thing for yourself. Do not let any stress ruin your experience!

The gym and its connotation with fear and shame need to change. It is a place to work on yourself and push your boundaries. Don’t let fear stop you from improving! I hope these tips can help you to feel more confident in the gym and push you to be your best self!

Skylar Rossi

Manhattan '23

I am a sophomore at Manhattan College pursuing a double major in political science and communications with a business minor.