This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

While being in college, it’s hard trying to be happy all the time and maintain your well-being can be tricky. With the stresses of tests, clubs, and maintaining a social-life it can be hard to put your mental health first. Here’s a few tips and tricks you can do to improve your well-being 

Sleep – Sleeping is key to improving your well-being and who doesn’t love a good nap sometimes? Sleeping helps reduce stress and is essential for hormone regulation. For me, I personally try to get around 8-9 hours of sleep, because that is the right amount to keep me going throughout the day. If getting enough sleep at night is something that impossible for you, try setting a time during the day when you can take a nap to reenergize yourself. 

Take time for yourself – Take 30 minutes or even an hour out of your day for yourself. During that time do something you love, read, meditate, listen to music, or just relax and take a breather. During the time I take for myself, I like to listen to music that calms me down or do some yoga to relax. 

Decorate your dorm – Decorate your dorm with decor that makes you happy. Use bright colors, get succulents or even use candle scents that you love. Having a cozy, well decorated room that you enjoy being in can make you feel content. I have filled my dorm room with things that make me feel cozy and homey. I bought tapestries of the sun to try and brighten up my room and some cheap succulents from Trader Joe’s to put around. 

Spend time with people that you love – Spending time with family and friends can always improve your mood. Being around people that make you happy can make you forget about all the thoughts that we’re bringing you down. Doing something as simple as studying with you friends or getting dinner with your friends can make you feel better. 

Christina Trichilo is a transfer student at Manhattan College. She is a third year student majoring in psychology, and minoring in women and gender studies. She enjoys reading poetry, a good cup of coffee, and listening to Beyoncé's I Am... Sasha Fierce album.
Michaela is a Childhood Education Major with Concentrations in Math and Spanish at Manhattan College. She will be continuing her studies in the Masters program at Manhattan, and earn a Masters Degree in Special Education. She was a member of Her Campus at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA and is now the Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor at Manhattan! She is beyond excited to be a Jasper and that she found her home at MC!