Wellness > Health

Acai bowls: The benefits and why they are perfect for post-workout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Over the years, I have indulged in my fair share of acai bowls, but it was not until recently that I discovered all the health benefits the berry itself provides! Acai berries grow on the acai palm tree native to Brazil. They are not only rich in antioxidants, but are a great source of fiber, protein, and healthy fats. Antioxidants are important because they help rid the body of free radicals, reducing the risk of developing diseases such as cancer and diabetes.

I love acai because it is such a versatile fruit that provides a variety of benefits. One of my favorite ways to enjoy this fruit is in the form of an acai bowl. Whether you prefer a berry, tropical, or green bowl, the options are truly endless! I have made and purchased my fair share of acai bowls, but one of my new local favorites is at iLiv Cycling studio, a studio that just opened up around Manhattan College ! They not only offer student discounts, but delicious bowls for a perfect way to cool down after an intense workout. 

Explore the endless options when it comes to flavors and experiment with what toppings you like the best. To reap the most benefits from this decadent food, I suggest being mindful of your toppings and what ingredients are going into the bowl itself. If you are planning on having a bowl after a workout, opt for a bowl that includes protein in the base. This added source of protein will help replenish your muscles and rebuild tissue in order to make the most of your workout and sustain progress.

Jana Clark

Manhattan '22

Jana Clark is a senior at Manhattan College majoring in Communication with a minor in Environmental Studies. Her passions include writing, photography, and health/nutrition! One day she hopes to work for a nonprofit organization where she can be part of the effort to end the marginalization of vulnerable communities and fight for social justice. You can often find Jana volunteering, at the gym, or exploring different parts of the Big Apple.