Wellness

A Black Woman’s Guide to Spirituality: Healing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Zoe DeFazio

You’re still here! Through the thick and thin of life, through its many obstacles and events that made you question your worth, you are still here. Waking up is an accomplishment that many refuse to accept but I want to commend everyone who is reading this because it shows that no matter what, you still preserve to see another day.

Life is filled with challenges, whether it be family issues, heartbreaks, or things on the more serious side of the spectrum of challenges. Whatever it may be, it makes people stronger but it could also have some lasting effects on our mental, emotional and spiritual health. 

Whenever embarking on a new journey, you always want to make sure that you personally are ready, like when going on an international trip you check to make sure your passport isn’t expired, or when you want to try a new medicine you consult your physician. So when you want to jump into the spiritual realm and be more in tune with the universe and all who inhabit it, you have to start with yourself; you have to heal. 

Healing is the process of transcending suffering and transforming it into wholeness. Healing sounds easier than it is. Healing isn’t just making yourself a cup of tea and putting on a face mask and calling it self care. Healing is a long, emotionally overwhelming process that takes an immense amount of time. You have to sit down and ask yourself questions that you might not know the answer to or you’re not quite ready to answer out loud yet. 

Here are some ways to heal:

Therapy

Therapy is one of the more basic forms of healing. Therapists are professionals who concentrate on helping people develop better cognitive and emotional skills and help create healthy coping mechanisms to ensure a brighter future.

Journaling

Take some time out of your day to sit and reflect and write about your life in vivid detail. Write down everything that comes to your mind and then when you’re done, thoroughly read it. You’d be surprised by the things you wrote. 

Meditation

Deep breathing exercises are important; they help you train your mind to a neutral state. Try to use certain sound frequencies to help engage your mind. 

Art

Art is so beautiful. Whether it’s painting, drawing or creating poetry, this can be a great outlet to express your emotions and work through the pain. Nurture yourself and indulge yourself in the world of art and transform into your higher being. 

Healing is never a one-size-fits-all. What works for you won’t work for the next person, but it’s important to try to figure out what’s right for you to help you become self aware and be able to live in prosperity. Healing is a journey that doesn’t take a day. Healing takes time and effort. When you find out what makes you the person that you are, and when you finally understand how you work with the things around you and the world, then you will be able to manifest whatever you desire. 

Zoe DeFazio

Manhattan '24

Zoe DeFazio is a bright-eyed woman with a taste for the finer things in life, the very definition of a libra. Zoe is inquisitive with a passion for boundary pushing journalism and an interest in analyzing the ways in which marginalized people exist and move through the world