This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Angelica Niedermeyer

Life’s problems are inevitable. Talking to a therapist makes them manageable. 

1. Therapy is for not everyone, but it could be!

You never have to go through life by yourself. Talking to family, friends, or a therapist can be super helpful. Also, you do not have to be mentally ill or “going through something” to talk to someone. No one is perfect, everyone has their issues to deal with and things that overwhelm them. Therapy is only for your benefit. 

1. Going to therapy is like getting a second opinion.

A therapist is an outside point of view paid to help you navigate through everything from everyday problems to traumatic events. A therapist will help you to understand the patterns and different emotions in your life with an unbiased mind; they can then motivate you to set goals for how to better yourself and encourage you to set boundaries with those who have wronged you. 

1. If you are hurting, getting professional help can be a progessive step in recovering. 

Talking about whatever troubles you with someone who understands will make you feel less alone. If you need to get things off your chest, but do not want to burden your friends or family, a therapist can help you detangle your stresses and anxieties. If therapy is not enough, a therapist can still lead you into the right direction of seeking other professional help. 

1. You can talk about anything! 

So, as long as what you share does not hurt anyone or yourself, a therapist will not tell anyone what you say in a session. This means ranting about whatever you want for an hour. You can talk about anything past, present or future from school, friends, romantic relationships, family or jobs. 

1. Try it and if you hate it, you never have to go again. 

If you go to therapy once, and give communicating your thoughts a chance, and hate it, you do not have to go again. Keep an open mind, though. If that therapist was not what you were looking for, maybe try finding another match who shares your vibe. Who knows, a therapist might be there when you go through something unexpected and pull you through it. However, remember that therapy is not just for crisis management but for general support too!

Angelica is so excited to be the leader of this chapter as Campus Correspondent at Her Campus at Manhattan! Originally from the Jersey Shore, Angelica is a senior at Manhattan College studying communication with a concentration in journalism and a minor in French. Angelica is also Features Editor of the campus newspaper The Quadrangle, Fashion and Beauty Editor of Lotus Magazine, and Secretary of Alpha Pi Phi Sorority. She currently interns at The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in the Brand and Customer Partnerships Department. You can hear Angelica hosting Soundtrack Sunshine, as she DJ’s for Manhattan College’s radio station WRCM. When she finds the time to breathe she likes to go for walks in Van Cortland Park, hang out at An Beal with friends, and watch her roomates dance at the basketball games. Angelica loves to write about anything from her deepest darkest feelings, trendiest clothes on sale, and hot button topics. She loves to share her experiences with all of you and hopes readers can take something from her insight. She encourages anyone with a story to tell to join Her Campus and take a chance on the best girl group in college! Happy reading :)