Summer Girl Hawaii Yoga Hiking Exercise View
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

Mindful Boca 2020: An Evening with Maria Shriver

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

On Jan. 28, the non-profit organization, Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life, gathered hundreds of individuals at Lynn University to discuss Mindfulness in 2020. Maria Shriver, who is a NBC News Special Anchor, New York Time’s Bestseller, and the founder of The Women’s Alzheimer’s Movement also joined Barb Schmidt and Michelle Maros for a powerful panel discussion regarding positivity, kindness, and strength.

For those of you that are unaware of the organization, Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life, their mission is summed up on their website as, “furthering inner peace and wellness by educating and inspiring individuals and creating community through mindfulness practices, online resources, and programs.”  With that said, Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life uses outlets such as Instagram, Facebook and their online blog to share stories and inspire individuals to learn the practice of finding inner peace. The organization also puts on several events throughout the year to discuss important world issues and to teach the community how to integrate meditation practices into their everyday routine. 

With a mission to change the world, Schmidt, Maros and Shriver took the stage at Mindful Boca 2020 to talk about relevant issues this year. The three empowering women started off the panel discussing how they maintain a peaceful presence throughout the year. Rather then making an overwhelming amount of New Years resolutions that are impossible to maintain, Schmidt, Maros and Shriver keep it simple by picking one word to carry with them for the rest of the year. The significant word should be applied into every aspect of their life, which helps them achieve their goals and dreams. It can be any word as long as it has relevance to their own life and holds a deep meaning within their heart. 

Schmidt’s new word for 2020 is trustworthy. Maros’ word is ease as she aspires to make life less complicated than it actually is. Lastly, Shriver chose the word love as she intends to broaden the meaning of love. Shriver discussed how love is not just between two people, but can also be induced by those in her life who make her feel seen and accepted.

The three advocates strongly suggested for the audience to pick their own word as well. The word I chose for this New Year is passion. I aim to have a fierce passion throughout the year in my writing, personal growth, relationships, athletics, and studies. 

Here is a list of empowering words that you can chose to make 2020 your best year yet:

• Simplicity
  • Strength
  • Resilience
  • Peace
  • Kindness
  • Capable
  • Adventurous
  • Calm
  • Optimistic

This is just a fraction of the insights in which Schmidt, Moras and Shriver shared with the audience! If you are looking for more ways to get inspired, find inner peace, and maintain stillness throughout 2020 then I recommend picking up one their books, reading their blogs, or following them on social media.

https://peacefulmindpeacefullife.org

https://mariashriver.com/

Emily is the Senior Editor of the Her Campus chapter at Lynn University. She is anticipated to graduate in the spring of 2021 with a B.A. in Communications. Afterwards, she intends on furthering her passion for journalism in graduate school. Her ambitions took her beyond the classroom as she is now continuing her athletic career on the cross country and track team at Lynn University. She aspires to one day work at a major fashion or running magazine writing about physical and mental wellness. She is passionate about spreading positivity and love. She hopes to one day travel the world and write all about it.
Lynn University Chapter of Her Campus.