Career > Her20s

Level Up Your Productivity With These Routine Hacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lynn chapter.

Stop feeling guilty about hitting the pause button.  

In this social media age we’re living in, it’s widespread to get caught up by comparing ourselves to others, especially when it comes to productivity. Maybe you just woke up, and you’re scrolling through your Instagram feed, and you see that someone you follow already has been to the gym, has eaten breakfast, walked their dog, and started working.   

It’s not easy to start off the day and already be productive. It takes time to change that mindset and identify habits that may be self-sabotaging us for the longest without our consent. But it’s time to stop that.   

Let’s talk about productivity. It may mean different things for every single person, but we all can agree on one thing: it’s about getting things done. Whatever it may be, schoolwork, projects for work, cleaning the house, grocery shopping, exercising. Anything that we get done that we can tick off our to-do list is a sign that we are being productive rather than procrastinating.   

When you start to realize things in your daily life can be done more smoothly, it’s a sign to change your routine. How do you organize your days, and how much time do you dedicate to doing it. One of the first critical differences between a productive and unproductive person is the dedication to themselves. 

“People of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and made things happen.”

Leonardo da Vinci

Being dedicated to yourself comes in many forms and shapes. It involves organization but also self-knowledge. Understand how your body and mind work, when you need a break, and how often you need it. There’s nothing wrong in admitting you need time off; in fact, we all do. It’s just about prioritization.   

But enough with the talk, let’s get into some routine hacks that can help you boost that productivity out of your inner self.  

Your Morning Starts the Night Before   

Whoever says that the morning routine is the miracle of a well-balanced day is correct. There is nothing better than starting off your day calmly, knowing that you have time to make your bed, enjoy your breakfast, connect with yourself, and then go off to start your day. Some hacks to start your morning the night before include separating your outfit, leaving your bag ready, and packing your snacks if you work in the office or spend the day at school. Also, if you go to the gym or a yoga class in the morning, have your bag ready to go with your water bottle. This way, you can just grab everything before leaving home, and you will also feel more motivated to do so.   

A Checklist Is Your Best Friend  

As we talked about before, being productive can be highly related to getting things done. However, we must acknowledge the things that are getting done. For that, creating a to-do list is a must. It will help you not forget anything you must do and leave the satisfaction of ticking off a task you successfully completed. A to-do list is helpful too if you feel overwhelmed because when you write down on paper what you must do, it may not look as bad as it did in your head. Remember the power of writing down things on a piece of paper or a notebook. Several aesthetically pleasing options of agendas, planners, and to-do list notes can make it fun for you!   

You Just Need 10 Minutes  

Either in the morning or right before bedtime, make sure to separate ten minutes from your routine to simply be by yourself. Don’t pick up your phone. Really be by yourself. You can find activities to do, like meditation, reading, journaling. But make sure it’s something that disconnects you from the outside world. I know this can be hard initially; that’s why ten minutes is enough. However, the more you practice, the more you’ll enjoy, and I promise you, ten minutes will become an hour soon enough. It will help boost your motivation which will affect your productivity performance.    

Multitasking… Anyone?  

Yes, many times, people say to focus on one activity at a time. But here I’m not saying you shouldn’t enjoy the present moment. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, there are many activities you can do simultaneously, and it won’t feel stressful, it’ll leave a good result for you! For example, when doing a monotonous activity, like cleaning your room, or putting dishes away, listen to a podcast or an audiobook. If it’s for fun or to make you more informed about a specific subject, find your perfect match. Another tip is for those days you’re feeling low energy, you don’t want to interact with others, and daily activities seem so dull to you—even eating! These days, eat while reading a book or watching a video on YouTube.   

Mentalize, Mentalize, Mentalize. Did I Say Mentalize?  

I’ve talked before about our minds’ power over us and our habits. If you work on mentalizing your goals, things you want to accomplish, who you want to become, and how you want your life to be, it will happen. The same if you’re going to be more productive. Visualize what productivity means to you; what would make you feel accomplished when you put your head on the pillow at night. Only you will know what you must do for yourself, and mentalizing it can impact your skill development. Every skill is learnable, but if you keep telling yourself you can’t do it, well, then you can’t.   

We don’t feel productive because we’re self-sabotaging ourselves most of the time. A practical person recognizes all the pitfalls they have from the different ways they procrastinate, or when they don’t practice flexible thinking, or when they compare themselves to others. All this leads people to not have focus to change their habits to be healthier. Either way, change is possible in whatever situation you may find yourself in, and productivity is a learnable skill. Everyone can be productive.   

So, do yourself a favor and don’t feel guilty about it. First, understand what productivity means to you and find ways to achieve that skill. You’re in complete control of it!   

Giuliana is a Contributing National Writer for Her Campus, and the former Editor-In-Chief and President of Her Campus at Lynn. She recently graduated from Lynn University, with a BS in Marketing, Fashion & Retail and International Business Management. Among a lot of passions, Giuliana shows a high interest in the Publishing and the Marketing Industry. She is the author of the latest book "Brand You: How to Achieve Success through Personal Branding," which was published in May 2021. The book provides a new perspective on personal branding and personal marketing. One of her biggest dreams is to continue growing her own brand and help other people achieve success through their uniqueness. Giuliana is also a sister of Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority, and member of Golden Key International Honour Society and Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration.