jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Students of Loyola: Brad Benes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Students of Loyola: a take on the very exciting, emotional, and raw, “Humans of New York.” I want to capture the students at Loyola in a way that has not been done before. I want people’s joy and struggles to be out there, without forcing anything too much.

Meet Brad Benes:

What has been the saddest moment of your life?

“In hindsight, the saddest moment of my life would be when I found out my brother had cancer. I was young at the time so I didn’t fully understand what hearing ‘your brother has cancer’ really meant. But when I saw my parents crying their eyes out, it really started to hit home for me. Looking back on it, the saddest moment wasn’t the moment of actually hearing the words that my brother had cancer, because at the time I didn’t fully appreciate what that meant. But after a few years of him being in the hospital continuously, I fully understood what it meant to have a sibling with cancer. I don’t think I can pick a single moment that was ultimately the saddest of those few years because the whole situation was sad. But I do remember thinking to myself how sad it made me when other kids got to play basketball or video games with their brothers and I couldn’t anymore. Ultimately going through childhood cancer is very saddening, and knowing first hand what he had to go through as a child is something I will never forget.”

I am a fourth year student at Loyola University Chicago. I am highly interested in journalism, and social media marketing, especially when it comes to news and fashion. My current experiences consist of sales in different companies throughout the Midwest, such as Ann Taylor and Kate Spade, and editorial work with various companies, including Her Campus and Orange Coast magazine.