This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LUC chapter.

Planning to start working out but don’t know how to get started? Looking for a fun way to stay active, and maybe have your friends tag along? A frequent visitor of the gym, but looking for a way to mix up your fitness routine? 

If you answered “yes” to any of the above questions, boy do I have the thing for you!

Okay, I’m done with the annoying sales jargon now. Sorry about that.

But seriously, Loyola has some pretty amazing group fitness classes that are free for all students and a great solution for any of those questions. Okay, they’re not entirely free because they’re included in tuition, but that should give you all the more reason to take advantage of them!

With so many classes, instructors, and times, it’s pretty easy to find a class that works for you. If you need a little extra encouragement, I spent this past week going to a variety of classes (some I have previous experience with and some I don’t) to give you an idea of what they’re like, and I was even able to speak with some of the instructors about their respective classes.

Tuesday, 6:45 a.m. – Spin with Nick

I’ve been to a lot of spin classes before, both here at Loyola and at my gym at home, but I’d never been to one before sunrise. If I’m being totally honest, I was not looking forward to it, but it was all that fit in my Tuesday schedule. I was genuinely surprised at how easy it was for me to wake up, and even more surprised when I walked into a full spin studio; I entirely expected everyone on campus to still be asleep.

The class itself was really tough, but in the best way. A general note about spinning: get ready to sweat. It’s a full 50 minutes of cardio, alternating between various positions on the bike, different pedaling speeds, and different amounts of resistance. 

If that sounds daunting, don’t worry. You have full control of your workout – you adjust your own resistance, and Nick openly invites you to ignore his instructions if you find them too difficult for you.

Oh, and did I mention there’s great music? Nick told me that his favorite thing about spin is really getting yourself immersed in it. “It’s like a concert on a bike,” he said, and I agree. 

If you can’t get yourself out of bed for the 6:45 a.m. class, I don’t blame you. I only did it for the sake of ~journalism~. Nick also teaches at 7:30 p.m. on Thursdays, and there are a wide variety of other times and instructors throughout the week, including some 30-minute classes (great for beginners!).

Difficulty rating: 4.5 / 5 

Overall enjoyment rating: 4 / 5

Wednesday, 6:30 p.m. – Barre with Jessica

I tried barre for the first time this semester, and I’ve been absolutely loving it. It’s a ballet-based strength class, but you definitely don’t need any ballet background. In fact, I think my lack of experience is why I like the class so much. It gives me a chance to work different muscles that I don’t typically get to.

The class typically entails a short warm-up, a leg workout at the barre, an arm and core workout on a mat, and a cooldown. Moves are very low impact, involving little to no weight, but each move is very targeted at a specific muscle group and has such a high amount of reps that you definitely still feel the burn.

This past week, Libby subbed for Jessica, and her workout was a lot more intense and less ballet-based. It was still a great class—I woke up sore the next day, the sign of a great work out—but I would definitely recommend Jessica’s class for beginners to barre, or those looking for more targeted, ballet-based moves.

Difficulty rating: 3 / 5

Overall enjoyment rating: 4.5 / 5

Thursday, 7:00 a.m. – Sunrise Yoga with Gabby

I’m going to be completely honest, here. I’m really terrible at yoga. I can’t even sit with my legs crossed. I’m the least flexible person I’ve ever met, and I have pretty bad joints from years of various sports. But I still love the mental aspect of yoga, so I try my best anyway.

Gabby’s sunrise yoga class was perfect because it focused on slower, gentler poses that a non-yogi like me could actually do. Gabby is clearly very well-versed and dedicated to the practice and was also very supportive, frequently offering accommodations and hands-on support for those who needed it (me). 

I also loved this class because it was a great way to dedicate time to myself in the morning, and that really set the tone for the rest of my day. So often I wake up as late as I possibly can, and I rush to make breakfast and get on the train. After this class, I had time to have a leisurely breakfast and plan out the rest of my day, which made for a much more relaxed and productive day.

Difficulty rating: 2 / 5

Overall enjoyment rating: 5 / 5

Saturday, 11:00 a.m. – Total Body Strength with Martina

Okay, being honest again, I didn’t go to this class. I fully intended to, but I came down with a cold on Friday and just couldn’t. But that actually reminds me of a really important point – listen to your body. It’s okay to not push yourself every single day, and it’s okay to decide to stay in bed every once in a while.

I did go to Martina’s class a few times last semester when it was called Body Tone, so I can talk a little bit about that.

Total Body Strength is essentially exactly what you would expect, based on the name. Using a variety of equipment that varies per class, sometimes including hand weights, a weighted bar, or a step platform, you have the opportunity to work almost all of your main muscle groups, especially your core, arms, and legs.

Martina is one of the most encouraging instructors I’ve ever had. She offers a few different variations of each move, and you can choose whichever one best suits you based on your skill level. She loves to see you challenge yourself and actively celebrates your successes. 

This class is great for anyone who wants to work a little bit of everything, or someone who wants a good strength workout but doesn’t know how to use any of the machines in the weight room (me).

Difficulty rating: 4 / 5

Overall enjoyment rating: 4 / 5

These are just a few of the amazing classes Loyola offers – some others include Zumba, synergy functional training, and cardio kickboxing (find the schedule here or posted in Halas Rec Center). Every instructor is a fellow student at Loyola, and all of them are dedicated to and enthusiastic about their classes. I hope this article gives you some inspiration the next time you’re looking for a stress-relieving study break or just a fun way to stay active with friends.

Amanda is a senior at Loyola University Chicago studying English and multimedia journalism. She's originally from the Cleveland, Ohio, area and is a huge baseball fan. When she's not drowning in papers (and even sometimes when she is), Amanda can probably be found watching her latest Netflix obsession or drinking coffee in one of the many great cafés throughout Chicago.