Girl On Bench With Backpack
Girl On Bench With Backpack
Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisville chapter.

Disclaimer: In no way by providing these tips is this professional mental health help, these are only tips that could help you through common everyday struggles!

We all know that with the new year comes new stress. There are often attempts to implement a better daily life routine, but what some people don’t know is how those sudden efforts to change your entire lifestyle could be affecting your mentality or your perception of yourself. With spring coming up, there will be annual spring cleanings, so why not spring clean yourself? Since you make it a priority to clean out your closet in the springtime, you should pay just as much attention to yourself and your mental health this spring. 

Tip # 1: Check to see how your weekly routine is making you feel. 

It’s very common for college students to try to take on too much. College is the place where we are told to get our world experience and become well-rounded adults, so it is natural to try to take advantage of as many opportunities as we can. I know I’m very guilty of this, I’m constantly overbooking myself with groups or organizations that I want to be a part of and school itself. If you’re finding yourself constantly exhausted or wore out from doing your daily routine, that’s probably a sign that you have too much on your plate.  It’s not a bad thing to be ambitious and commit yourself to the things you are passionate about, but once your passion projects start to get in the way of your health and daily attitude that’s when you need to consider putting some things aside. 

Tip # 2: Make sure you have a support system.

Because our college routines can make us feel overwhelmed and sometimes like we’re drowning, it’s important to know who your support system is. A support system could be anyone or any organization like your academic advisor, student success ambassadors, your friends, or anyone you trust to hold you accountable. For me, my main support system are my sorority sisters. I know those girls will help me through any rough week and if I text any one of them they will make sure that I don’t overwork myself. Having a support system is very important to make sure when you’re feeling overwhelmed, that you don’t rely on your own efforts to get you out of your current situation. 

Tip # 3: Make time for yourself/ take a rest day. 

The hustle of everyday life is so easy to get caught up in, sometimes we can forget to take time out of the day to just rest. A prolonged time without rest days can lead to you having a burnout. Urban Dictionary defines burnout as “a state of emotional and physical exhaustion caused by a prolonged period of stress and frustration.” In order to avoid this, it is important to take those days to just not do anything.

These three tips will help you begin to take control of your current life situation. If you’re like me, life can get overwhelming every once in a while and it is important to recognize when we’re becoming overwhelmed and take the appropriate actions to get life back under control. 

Reference used:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Burnout

Elisha Calhoun

Louisville '23

I am currently an Elementary Education major here at the University of Louisville and am involved in my sorority Chi Omega!For fun, I love to watch movies, play music, and dance!
Campus Correspondent at the University of Louisville I am an International Affairs and Communication major and minoring in French and marketing at the University of Louisville. If I am not studying, I am at the UofL Student Rec Center where I teach cycling/spin classes!