This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

Ever since I was little I have had dry skin, and throughout each day it would only get worse. However, when I started college I began waking up with dry skin and then end the day with oily skin. I asked around and a couple of people said that my condition could be caused by stress or eating habits. Though I needed to find a way to solve it, I can’t always find the time to cook or take a nice bubble bath. I am going to give you some helpful morning and night routines for both oily and dry skin.

girl wearing a mud mask
Unsplash
Here are some helpful tips for oily skin:

1. Use a cleanser twice a day.

Try to find a cleanser with salicylic acid. This method help because salicylic acid goes into the pores of your skin and breaks down oil. You also want to cleanse your face twice a day because oil and dirt can build up on your skin throughout the night and during the day. 

2. Exfoliate your skin at least once a week.

Exfoliation of the skin allows for a deep clean of the pores and helps fight future breakouts. You don’t want to exfoliate too often because it can lead to tight and irritated skin.

3. Use a moisturizer twice a day.

Apply moisturizer after each time you wash your face. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, it is “important to apply moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated” even though you may have oily skin.

4. Treat yourself to a face mask once a week.

Face masks help control the amount of oil produced and they allow the healing of skin impurities.

container next to flowers
Unsplash
Here are some helpful tips for dry skin: 

1. Use moisturizers!

This is important especially when you have just washed your face or have taken a shower. You want to immediately use a moisturizer to help hydrate your skin.

2. Don’t use cold water and limit the amount of time that you spend in the bath.

According to Mayo Clinic, hot water draws the oils out of your skin, leaving your skin dry and irritated. Instead, shower in warm water and don’t take long showers.

3. Try out hydrating masks.

These facial masks allow another way to hydrate your skin but remember to only use these masks about once a week.

These are a few tips for treating dry and oily skin. Of course, there are more home remedies and dieting tips, such as drinking milk or applying honey on dry skin, and you can always invest in a toner to help with your skin’s pH balance if your skin is oily. However, I have found that these habits are most useful in my personal skin routine.

Cammie Ardoin

Louisiana Tech '23

Hi, my name is Cammie and I love music and books. I am also very headstrong and passionate.