Wellness

Ways to Avoid Gaining the Freshman 15 While Still Eating Whatever You Want

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

So, it’s your first few weeks of freedom. You are finally living on your own, eating whatever you want, whenever you want without your parents supervision, when you suddenly look down at your pants and notice your ‘loose, boyfriend jeans’ are snug on you. Try not to freak out… here are some simple tips so you can still eat all the foods you want while not gaining a single pound.

Try to keep a schedule of doing some kind of physical activity throughout the week.

I know exercise can be difficult — between studying, keeping up with different clubs or organizations and your social life, it seems like all you want to do is sleep. Going this route may seem like an easy way out but, we are in the heart of LA. It’s very easy to keep active in the best ways possible. Some of my favorite activities include spending the day walking all along Melrose avenue in Hollywood, Abbot Kinney in Venice or the 3rd Street Promenade and Pier in Santa Monica — the possibilities are endless in such a big city! But this way you can walk for miles while still being able to shop at some of the trendiest places in the city.

Another easy way to exercise in the LA area is simply taking a hike through the mountains or even a long walk on the beach! It is great for keeping in shape and being one with nature. Another perk is that the views are phenomenal from both destinations! Bring a big group of friends and make a plan to go once a week (and maybe while you’re there you can all try surfing together!)

A Simple way to keep active is taking advantage of the state of the art rec center on campus. I know it’s a struggle going, because let’s face it – we all have our lazy days where we don’t want to get out of bed (let alone walk the far distance to the gym) but, on campus everyone has the ability to use weight machines, studio classes, cardio machines etc. anytime of the day. Even going once or twice a week can definitely make a difference — maybe even designate one of your friends who goes often to be your workout buddy : someone who will motivate you to go and help you do your best!

Try not to eat (too) unhealthy

I get it, its college and you have the ability to eat microwavable mac and cheese, Pizza Hut and ice cream everyday, however, you can easily keep healthier option foods in your dorm. For instance, I personally love things like avocado toast, hummus and chips and grapes. Keeping foods like this in my dorm allows me to snack on healthier option foods instead of potato chips and kettle corn. This is extremely helpful especially when you get back to your dorm at 2am on a Saturday night and you’re just dying for some food.

If you want to go out instead of eating on campus,There are so many great places to eat with natural foods right within our fingertips– afterall we are in LA! For instance:

Pressed Juicery offers a ‘pressed freeze’ which is basically a very healthy version of ice cream. If you are out with friends and they want ice cream offer this! It is a tasty yet healthy way to get exactly what you’re looking for without so many calories!

Breakfast with a view? Yes please! Another healthy yet great food option is Malibu Farm Cafe on the Malibu Pier. This aesthetically pleasing restaurant has many savory options that taste as fresh as you could imagine! Instead of making your way to McDonalds for a quick breakfast burrito, stop by here for an alternative that you won’t regret (plus the views are perfect for pictures).

Another tip is to always try and satisfy those cravings you have. If you are dying for an In’N’Out burger? Go get it! If you need some Ben and Jerry’s right now, go get some! I’m not saying eat it everyday but we all have cravings and it’s better to satisfy them than to keep them bundled up…resulting in you eating more food anyway! This will make you overall happier and more energized for the rest of the day.

Alexis ( or as her friends call her -- Alex) is a Marketing major at LMU. Her life wouldn't be complete without music (more specific-- Foster the People), fashion, food and her family. You can easily find her at a concert or exploring cities such as LA and NYC. She lives for thrifting and finding the best deals on clothing.