absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Blonde Baker: Snickerdoodle Cookies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Hello everyone! I hope y’all enjoyed the blondies. I have another recipe that is a staple for your baking repertoire: SNICKERDOODLES! What exactly is a snickerdoodle? A snickerdoodle is a buttery cookie known for being smothered in cinnamon sugar. I absolutely love cinnamon, and put it in everything from pancakes to my morning coffee. Its aroma is decadent and makes the whole house smell of Christmas. Snickerdoodles are especially famous during the holidays, but in my kitchen they are famous year-round! They are my boyfriend’s favorite, so I make them any chance I get.

These snickerdoodles are soft pillows of cinnamon-y goodness. Sweetened with vanilla extract and with a cake-like consistency, these babies will most definitely be a hit in your kitchen! Another bonus of these cookies is that they are on the simpler side of baking, requiring about the same amount of time it would take to compile a homemade batch of chocolate chip cookies. Rolling the cookie dough in cinnamon sugar is truly the icing on the cake, or shall I say cookie? 

Ingredients

1 cup butter softened

1 ½ cups sugar 

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons cream of tartar

½ teaspoon salt

2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour

For Rolling:

1 tablespoon cinnamon

½ cup sugar

Directions

To begin these cinnamon cookies, start by preheating your oven at 350°F.

Mix together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Set these dry ingredients aside. The cream of tartar is what gives the snickerdoodles their legendary tang.

Cream together softened butter and 1 ½ cups of sugar. Add eggs one at a time, and then add the vanilla extract. SLOWLY add the dry ingredients. If you add the dry ingredients too fast your cookies will be tough—the last thing you want for your snickerdoodles—trust me. The dough will be pretty sticky, perfect for the next step. Mix 1 tablespoon of cinnamon with ½ cup sugar. Shape the sticky dough into about 1-inch balls and roll in the cinnamon sugar. Make sure the dough balls are drenched in the cinnamon sugar. The more, the merrier. This last step is crucial to the perfect cookie. Place the balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. The parchment paper protects the cookies and keeps them safe. It also makes for an easy clean up. Bake the cookies for about 8-10 minutes. Be careful not to over bake, this will make your snickerdoodles become biscottis (EWW). It might be smart to double the recipe; these cookies will be gone before you know it. Good luck baking, and enjoy! :)