The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe You’ll Ever Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at LMU chapter.

Considering what a crazy year it’s been, everyone is in need of a joyous holiday celebration this December. With Christmas right around the corner, I wanted to share my personal cookie recipe guaranteed to impress your family and Santa himself. 

I developed this recipe over the summer after trying half a dozen recipes online, and combining my favorite elements of a few to create a unique recipe. The key is the extra egg yolk! It seems excessive but it really improves the texture of the cookie. 

Additionally, browned butter is an optional step but I highly recommend making it for a much more complex and rich flavor. 

Sophie’s Chocolate Chip Cookies  

Ingredients:

1.5 cup all purpose flour (may need a little extra if the dough feels too wet)

1.5 tsp baking soda

1.5 tsp salt

¾ cup dark brown sugar (regular works too, but dark brown makes the flavor more rich)

½ cup granulated sugar

2 tsp vanilla extract

1 whole egg + 1 egg yolk

½ cup unsalted butter 

Semisweet chocolate chips (however many you want because that’s your business)

Steps:

1. (Optional) Make browned butter. Cut one stick of cold unsalted butter into cubes for easier melting. Add to a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir the butter continuously. The butter will start to foam quite a bit, keep stirring until the foam subsides and the butter should be a golden brown to amber color. Here is a helpful tutorial if you’re a first timer. 

2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

3. Set aside browned butter in a large bowl. Let cool for 20 minutes. 

4. Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.

5. After the butter is room temperature, add brown sugar and white sugar. With an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until incorporated.

6. Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix until combined. 

7. Stir in dry ingredients slowly and bit by bit. End result should be moldable in your hand but not overly sticky

8. Stir in chocolate chips.

9. (Optional) Put cookie dough in the fridge for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours to make a more delicious cookie!

10. Line two 9×13 baking sheets

11. Use an ice cream scoop to divide dough into about 15 pieces.

12. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown on the sides.

13. (Optional) Sprinkle with chunky salt flakes right out of the oven. I love a salty cookie!

14. Let cool for 10 minutes before enjoying.

Hey there! I'm Sophia Villamor, I'm an English major here at LMU, and am originally from the Bay Area. I love all things Disney, makeup, and fashion related.
Her Campus LMU