This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Leeds chapter.

I’m not one to hide that my mental health over the last few years has not been the best, and much of that was down to the environments I spent time in and the people I was around. Unfortunately, I couldn’t really do much about that – what with it being illegal to not go to school – but, when COVID came along, it felt like that welcome break I needed from the world. 

Just before the first lockdown, I was very poorly. In the end, I never got my big ‘last day of high school’ or got to cry with my friends over the fact we wouldn’t see each other every day anymore. Whilst I was ill, however, my mum got me a little ‘get well soon’ gift – and a new outlook on my mental health came with it. 

Now, I won’t lie to you, I didn’t care in the slightest about the little plant she bought me until I got better… nothing was bringing me out of bed! Nevertheless, once I started to come round, I took a bit of a liking to my new little pal. I did some research and found out what type of plant it was and I also read into how to look after it: how much water it needed, how much light, etc.  

A few weeks of lockdown passed, and I had found myself gravitating to my plant. Being home all day meant that I could just sit and look at it or have it with me at my desk while I worked. I had kind of grown to love the little thing – which was, actually, growing quite quickly and wasn’t that little anymore.  

Lockdown ticked on and Estelle (yes, I named the plant Estelle… deal with it!) was just growing and growing. Then, my mum came back with a couple of new plants for me as a surprise one day, and I can’t tell you how excited I was.  

Since then, I’ve just kept on adding to the group and I have around 13 plants now. They helped me through the pandemic – especially those few crazy months where my exams were cancelled – as they were a way for me to channel my energy into something productive.  

I did some reading into the effects of having plants around you or spending time in nature, and I was quite shocked to find out that what I was feeling was actually backed up by research. One really helpful article that condenses all the basic points into one is from PsychologyToday. Here, they explain that plants have the ability to help reduce the symptoms of depression, improve information retention and increase self-esteem. How fascinating is that! 

Having plants has also taught me a lot about myself too. I have realised the importance of looking after myself because of how I’ve seen them grow (or, in some cases, wilt). Each and every thing that I give to my plants, I do to try and keep them happy and healthy. I don’t deprive them of food or water (intentionally!) and they have helped me to understand the importance of that for my own body too. 

I’m not sitting here claiming that buying a plant will cure your depression or rid you of anxiety, but they have definitely helped me to look at things from a different perspective. Often, I use the time I spend with my plants to check in with myself and question what I need that day or why I’m feeling a certain way. In that way, I suppose they are helping me to better ground myself in the moment, which is a good way for anyone to reduce anxiety.  

If you’re thinking, ‘I could do with getting my hands on a plant!’ I would say, ‘Go for it!’  

I find some of my favourite plants at the supermarket so, if you’re in a bit of a rush to get one, I’d start there. If not, take your time and do your research. Every plant has different needs, so looking for ones you like and then finding out what they need is a great way to do things. One of my favourite supermarket finds is my aloe vera plant. It started off in one pot as a big plant with four pups (they’re what the tiny plants that grow out of the big one, are called), but now I have two reasonably sized plants (that have their own pups) and I’ve gifted one away too!  

I really have come to love every plant I have, and I am continuing to add to my collection. In a year of turmoil for most, my plants have helped me to ground myself in the here and now. I really can’t put into words what they’ve done for me and my mental health.  

So, take this as your sign to go out and buy a plant today! I promise you won’t regret it. 

Words By: Alice Mason Edited By: Laura Murphy 

Languages student and lover of all things pink - I am a huge mental wellbeing advocate so, expect a lot of articles about that (with the odd Drag Race one thrown in there)!
English Literature graduate, Her Campus Leeds Editor in Chief 2020-2021 :)