This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Laurier Brantford chapter.

Can you hear the Jaws theme playing yet? Midterm season is quickly approaching, and if you’re anything like me in past years, you have prepared yourself for the worst. This year, I am determined to be the responsible adult I know I can be and prepare myself for the stressful weeks that are to come as best as I can. Will there still be long nights of studying and maybe a tear or two shed? Quite possibly, but that doesn’t mean I can’t try my best to make this term’s midterm season as painless as possible by forming some good habits and taking some extra steps.

I know that universities preach to the choir constantly about self-care, but this truly is going to be your saving grace during midterm season. No one can pour from an empty cup, which means in order for students to put their best foot forward and ace our exams, we need to put effort into taking care of ourselves first. As much as I may not be the biggest fan of salads and yoga classes (and trust me, I’m not), fueling your body with the right nutrition and getting in some sort of physical activity does wonders for your concentration and focus. In addition to this, getting in those extra hours of sleep instead of binging Netflix (this is direct shade to myself) will prevent you from burning out and will boost your immune system.

Speaking of boosting your immune system, vitamin C people! I have already started taking vitamin C nightly in the form of a capsule as to prep myself against what is so lovingly known as the “Laurier Plague” here in Brantford and Waterloo. Midterm season just so happens to fall at the beginning of cold and flu season, so it is especially important to protect your immune system as much as possible. I also urge you to look into getting the flu shot, as this can be another great way to protect yourself and those around you from the germs that reside in lecture halls (ew). The great thing is, many campus wellness centers offer the flu shot for free, and it takes less than 20 minutes to get.

I know that when you opened this article you were probably hoping for some study tips that would get you straight As, but unfortunately, I do not have the magical answer we are all looking for. What I have learned in my time at university, however, is that there really are no easy ways out. You are going to have to put in long days (and nights) at the library, and you most definitely will go through tons of flash cards, but I can assure that the satisfaction of seeing a final grade you are proud of will make it all worthwhile. Start studying early and give yourself enough time to ask questions and to attend your professors’ office hours, you will thank yourself in the long run.

With all of this being said, many of us have been in a position where midterm season does not go as planned. In these times, I want you to remember that your grades do not define you and there is always a second chance to be given. Midterm season is rough for everyone, but what is important is that you remember why you are attending university in the first place, and to remember that you are capable of achieving anything you put your mind to.

Study hard! HCXO.

April Stark

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Hi! My name is April and I am a second year community health student attending Wilfrid Laurier university. I have a passion for all things beauty and fashion and love writing about the latest trends and styles. In my spare time I enjoy shopping (of course), going to fitness classes, and studying with my friends. After I receive my degree I would love to be an Autism Spectrum Disorder Therapist as my small contribution to making the world a better place. Thanks for reading!
.