This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

As a natural introvert, I tend to struggle with anxiety at times. From school, work, or relationships, there have been a lot of milestones to test when it comes to my anxiety. Here are some of the ways I have regulated my anxiety with 3 personal methods.

Using Fashion

It’s natural to be scared to wear certain things in the public eye or to fear being the center of attention. Before my junior year, I would struggle with experimenting with certain outfits in fear of what others might say. However, when I slowly started building confidence, I wanted to test myself with certain styles. At first I was scared, but I would just focus on what I was doing that day. When I started to repeat what I was doing, I was not only getting compliments, which helped, but I was able to elevate my style. Although there would be times where I would get stares or not so nice comments, I am at the point where I don’t care, especially when those comments come from insecurity of others or people I would never take fashion advice from. This method came from the saying, “if you dress well, you feel good, and look even better,” and I couldn’t agree more. 

Staying Present and Taking My Time

If you also suffer from anxiety, then you know how it feels to be on edge and think about the future constantly. From hangouts with new friends to simply dating, I would get so nervous that I wouldn’t really be present. Since I was so on edge, I would miss out on getting to know someone or leave a hangout earlier than expected. I started to then practice staying present in these hangouts and dates to help the day go by slower. I was able to enjoy the simple moments and find the beauty in the little things of my day. As I tend to be running a bit behind time sometimes, my social anxiety would rise and it would conflict with the getting ready and transportation part of my days. I started to manage my time better and just take my time getting somewhere even if I was late. I would accept it for what it is and continue my way. I would just try my best to manage my time better the next time to help with my anxiety. By taking my time, I saw improvement in all aspects of my life: my work and my creative projects and social life.

Health & Staying Active

You probably have heard this before. Having an active routine can help lower stress and anxiety. I like to start my day with a morning workout. I have found that this has helped me by staying at ease with myself. When I started incorporating morning routines during my junior semester, I would have energy for the day and feel calm compared to my evening workouts. However, I know everyone has a preference for their energy levels and schedule. When I invested in my own health, I felt better. WIth increased confidence, my social anxiety lessened. 

Anxiety can affect everyone differently. These are just 3 simple ways that have worked for me! Hopefully you can find inspiration to help yourself! (Which is the best way because we are all different!)

Jade Diaz

Lasell '23

Jade is a Senior at Lasell, majoring in Fashion Merchandising and Management. She adores figurative art, and enjoys being creative in any way possible. She is sneaker- obsessed and loves the world of fashion. One fun fact is that her dog Finn, is named after a Star Wars character named FN-2187.