Meal in a Mug: Chocolate Chip Cookies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.
Ingredients
  • 1 Tablespoon Butter
  • 1 Tablespoon Granulated White Sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon of firmly packed Dark Brown Sugar
  • 3 Drops of Vanilla Extract
  • Small Pinch of Kosher Salt
  • 1 Egg Yolk (discard the egg white or save for different recipe)
  • Scant ¼ of All Purpose Flour (slightly less than ¼ of a cup)
  • 2 heaping tablespoons of Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips

Instructions
  1. Start by melting your butter in the microwave. Butter should just be melted, not boiling.
  2. Add sugars, vanilla and salt. Stir to combine.
  3. Separate your egg and add the yolk only to your cup. Stir to combine.
  4. Add flour, then stir again. Measure a scant, slightly less than full, ¼ cup of all-purpose flour.
  5. Add the chocolate chips, and give a final stir. Now your mixture will look like cookie dough.
  6. Cook in microwave 40-60 seconds, start checking for doneness at 40 seconds. Mine takes 50 seconds. Do not cook past one minute, just like a regular cookie, this will continue cooking as it cools. If the cookie is dry or cake like, try less time.
  7. Serve warm.

Rating: 10/10

Remember the chocolate chip cookies Mom used to make? Yeah, this is one of those. I found this recipe online because I was dying for a good old-fashioned cookie. It’s a little difficult to make, only because you have to separate the egg yolk from the whites. I had never done it before, but I caught on quickly so don’t worry if you haven’t separated eggs yet. Another way to separate an egg is cracking the whole thing into a bowl, beating it and then only putting half in the mix. While you are still putting egg white in, there will only be a little. The best part is that this only takes 50 seconds in the microwave! It’s gooey and warm and loaded with melted chocolate chips (depending on how many you pour in). I put whipped cream on top and it was fantastic, but if you want something else, steal some ice cream from the dining hall and stick it in the freezer until you make the cookie. This recipe is perfect if you’re craving chocolate and don’t want to make a whole batch of cookies. This way, you get one FABULOUS chocolate chip cookie and it’s not a huge mess. I highly recommend this recipe. 

Photo and recipe courtesy of 1

Danie is a 2018 graduate of Lasell College. She served as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Lasell for two years, and wrote all four years. Danie also worked for Her Campus as a Community Management intern for two semesters, and was a National Feature Writer for six months. Danie studied Communication with concentrations in Journalism and Public Relations. She is currently seeking opportunities in the editorial or music industry. Follow her on all platforms at @raniedoberts and check out her website, raniedoberts.com.