Wellness

I Tried the Meditation App Headspace and Was Severely Disappointed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Everyone loves Headspace. They have numerous commercials online and have a staggering number of subscribers. In holistic groups, everyone talks about how great headspace is and how it is the best meditation app. I am going to have to disagree with that claim. 

I decided to try the free version before jumping in and purchasing the paid version for $69.99 (or if you are a college student $9.99), which is a big chunk of money for an app. Espically saying the numerous free guided meditations online and the fact meditation is a free act.

I’ve grown up meditating, so you can say that I have a good amount of experience to back up this review. I am disappointed with how short the meditation is, without an option for an extended version. A lot of the meditations are more beginner/basic focused. There isn’t much substance to the actual meditations. With all the raving reviews, I would have thought that the app would have taken into consideration people beyond beginner.

However, it is very user-friendly and the graphics would be great for children or people who have a hard time holding focus. This is clearly a beginner app and won’t hold much value to experienced meditators. 

I do think that Headspace’s aggressive marketing makes them a more noticeable brand and has helped inform people about the benefit of meditation. But to me, headspace is not worth the money if you are experienced in meditation and don’t have money too waste.

If you are thinking about dropping $69.99 for a meditation app, there are better options that have more value. However, if you are brand new to meditation and need something engaging and have access to the student discount, it could be worth the money.

Ariana is the Editor In Chief for Her Campus Lasell. She is a senior at Lasell double majoring in Business Management and Marketing. When she's not editing for HC Lasell, she's binge-watching Netflix or buried in a good book.