Meditation
Meditation
Kristine Mahan / Spoon
Wellness

I Tried Deepak Chopra and Oprah’s 30-Day Meditation Program and *Spoiler* I Didn’t Like It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

It all started with an Instagram ad and I know what you’re thinking, who signs up for stuff on Instagram ads. I took a chance and signed up for their free 30-day meditation after hearing so many good things about Deepak Chopra.

Deepak Chopra is the founder of the Chopra Foundation and Chopra Global. He originally was a medical doctor but switched to alternative medicine after experiencing transcendental meditation with a Yogi. He seems to have a cult-like following of meditation lovers across the globe. He is a prominent member of the new age movement and the alternative medicine movement.  Chopra combines eastern techniques into his guided meditations, books and videos.

The meditation is set up with a mantra and a quote for the day. The meditations are about 20 minutes a day and there is a meditation for each of the 21 days. Once the meditation period starts, you can only access each day for 5 days. So that means if you’re sick and miss five days of meditation, you will not be able to access the first one you missed.

The beginning of each meditation included Oprah giving an introduction and Chopra talking about a concept for the first few minutes. Once the meditation starts you hear a bell and a bell is rung again to single the end of the meditation.

The meditations themselves were great and I loved the soundtrack behind them. I have personally tried mantra meditation before but wasn’t a fan. I tried it again with this meditation and I wasn’t a fan, so it may just be I don’t like the style. But overall the meditation set up itself was very nice and I enjoyed the daily quote/theme that went along with it.

Where I was kinda disappointed was when Chopra was talking about the theme for the meditation. I did not find value in what he was talking about and had a hard time relating it to meditation. This really took away from the meditation and forced us to think before we went into a meditative state.

I also felt very restrictive and discouraged when I missed a day because I’d have to do two meditations a day to catch up. It made me feel pressured and I wish it was a self-paced program.

Overall, I think the meditations were great but the program itself was lacking. 

Ariana is the Editor In Chief for Her Campus Lasell. She is a senior at Lasell double majoring in Business Management and Marketing. When she's not editing for HC Lasell, she's binge-watching Netflix or buried in a good book.