Brendan McCaffrey: Boston Strength and Conditioning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

“Being able to create a vision, direction and plan for your own company is an amazing experience that I’ve always wanted for myself,” said Brendan McCaffrey, class of 2016.  

While serving in the Marine Corps, McCaffrey lead tactical, strength and cardiovascular training for up to 20 Marines at a time. After learning about fitness and discovering the positives it brought to his life, he knew he wanted to work in the strength and conditioning field.

McCaffrey competing in his most recent powerlifting competition.

“I completely rebuilt myself physically when I joined the Marines and had the help of many people along the way,” he said. “I’ve always wanted to be that help for someone else that was in a similar situation to me at 18 years old, and working as a strength and conditioning coach was the best way for me to accomplish that goal.”

Just before the class of 2016 graduated, McCaffrey and two of his friends, Charles Baker and Chris Johnson, opened Boston Strength and Conditioning, a personal training studio in Newton. The three had talked about opening a personal training studio together when they were coworkers at a gym in 2013-2014. While coaching football at Belmont High School, Baker and Johnson contacted McCaffrey to let him know they had found a space for them to open their studio.

“Chris, Charles and I have a shared vision for what we want to do with the company and how we want to do it,” said McCaffrey about his business partners. “Knowing that, it was a no-brainer decision to go into business with them.”

(L-R) Charles Baker, Chris Johnson and Brendan McCaffrey at Boston Strength and Conditioning grand opening

The three began renovations in July 2015, started taking clients in October, and Boston Strength and Conditioning officially opened on April 23, 2016. On August 20 they teamed up with Lift for 22, a nonprofit organization who works with fitness facilities across the country to provide gym memberships, free of cost, in effort to lower veteran suicides. They raised $2,100 which is covering at least five free memberships for veterans at Boston Strength and Conditioning. McCaffrey said they do not yet have a date for their next fundraiser, but it should be sometime in mid-to-late November.

(R-L) Chris Johnson and Brendan McCaffrey with Seth Bai, the veteran service rep of Newton.

McCaffrey is currently studying at Lasell for his Master’s in Sport Management with a focus on leadership.

Boston Strength and Conditioning offers one-on-one personal training as well as fitness classes. If you are interested in classes or personal training, you can visit http://www.strengthandconditioningboston.com/apps/calendar/ to see their list of available classes and email BostonSC15@gmail.com to sign up.

If you want to take a class with McCaffrey, he teaches Bootcamp and Strength and Conditioning classes. “We’ll soon be adding 8 week strength and conditioning ‘camps’ as well, where the same group of people train with one another two to three times a week and be together throughout the camp,” McCaffrey said.

Boston Strength and Conditioning is located at 75 Adams Street in Newton.

Angela is a senior communication major with a concentration in public relations, and is double minoring in legal studies and sports communication. She studied in Washington, D.C. during the Spring 2016 semester. Angela has interned with McGovern Law and the Washington Ballet. She once was in the same press conference as President Obama. When not in class, she can be found in the Brennan Library studying, in the one of the gyms on campus or taking a nap. Angela is a sports lover, buffalo chicken enthusiast, and future master sommelier.