This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Knowing that most of the student population holds themselves up to a higher standard, not reaching those standards can be difficult. However, it is crucial to look at the whole picture, especially as a college student. First of all, no class nor assignment is worth damaging your mental health over. A poor grade should not put you into a poor mental state. Second, there is nothing wrong with feeling like you need help and asking for it. If you feel like you are in a hole too deep to get yourself out of on your own, know that there are many ways that you can reach out and get help. If you are in a not great state of mind and need help, you should reach out to a trusted adult or friend who can help you to access resources. You could call your local helpline or your schools helpline (this is Lasell’s!). Know that there are people around you who want to see you succeed and need you around. That being said, there are some ways I have found helpful to at least somewhat manage school and mental well-being. They include:

Staying on Top of My To-Do List

For me, staying ahead of my to-do list helps me avoid getting overwhelmed when I reach a difficult period. By doing my work when I get it, or as soon as it fits in my schedule when I find it too hard to do work or just use my brain power, I can step away from the schoolwork to do something else. This strategy also allows me to avoid procrastination as I know I’ll never feel like doing the work, and if I keep waiting, my to-do list will just get longer.

Sleep and Rest

Make sure you are getting enough sleep and rest. Sleep affects your brain, and not getting enough of it can cause serious health issues. Have a set time when you stop doing work (an example being at five P.M, I stop doing homework and start to allow myself to relax). This method gives me enough time to wind down for the night so I get a peaceful sleep. Resting can also be just doing anything for yourself. Self-care is a must, especially with the stress of college. You need to be taking care of yourself because YOU ARE IMPORTANT!

Take Time for Yourself

Take time for yourself! Cramming all of your work in the day before it’s due will hurt your mental health and grades. Have some form of outlet that makes you happy, like hanging out with friends, working out, art, or taking some time to sit in silence, whatever works for you to reach a state of peace, is key to doing the best for yourself and your work.

Ask for Help

My most important tip is if you feel like you are beginning to struggle, reach out to get help. Even if it’s just setting aside a time to sit with someone and go over your work. The longer you wait, the more you will struggle, which makes things more difficult in the long run. DO NOT wait too long because the sooner you reach out for help, the easier it will get. 

Remember that you are the most important in this situation. Self-care is probably one of the most important things you can do for yourself. It is likely your professors and peers have been in a similar situation, so do not fear going to them to ask for an extension. Self-advocacy is probably the best skill you can gain from asking for help. You can only get help if you ask for it, so be there for yourself and do what you need to succeed. Follow the advice you would give a friend if they were in your position because we tend to be much nicer to our friends than we are to ourselves. Reflect on that, and then choose to do what you need to be happy. Most of all, remember someone loves you and needs you around!

Carley Ellis

Lasell '26

Carley is a member and events director of HerCampus, she is a forensic science major in her sophomore year at Lasell University. She is also a member of other clubs on campus such as the Forensic Science Association. In her spare time she likes to read, play video games, and pick up new hobbies such as doing her own nails.