ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To: Get A Good Night’s Sleep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

How To: Get A Good Night’s Sleep

With assignments, presentations and exams to prep for, it can be quite easy to disregard your sleeping pattern or sleep at all for that matter! It’s so important to get a good night’s sleep in order for your brain to be ready to conquer the day so here are my top tips on resting well:

1. Stop work at a reasonable time.

There never seems to be enough hours in the day to do all your uni work, never mind to do stuff like laundry, exercise and (dare I say it) relax. You need to know when to draw the line with regards to the day’s work. Set yourself a cut-off point such as 7:30pm, this gives your brain time to relax and shut down (if it hasn’t already).

2. Eat and drink well.

Feeling peckish before bed? Snack on something like almonds or a banana which contain potassium, helping you to fall asleep better. If you’re a tea lover, try some chamomile for relaxation.

3. Cosy pyjamas.

We’re officially in spring and we have had some lovely sunny days but Lancaster has a tendency to change its weather quite dramatically. So, if it’s one of those nights I like to put my pjs on the radiator so that I feel nice and cosy when I put them on.

4. Early to bed.

Ok, we are students so this can sometimes be a tough one for us. However, if I need to get up at 7am, I certainly wish that I had pulled myself away from Youtube and all their Disneyland videos sooner…

5. Sleep Soundtracks.

Do you have trouble drifting off? I think we all do at times, especially when we have other things on our minds. For a while now, I’ve been using sleep/meditation soundtracks to help me fall asleep. For example:

These guys also do plenty of other relaxing tracks including ones to help you concentrate when studying and even ones for half an hour naps!

English Language and Linguistics student at Lancaster University, with a passion for all things magazine- be it beauty, fashion, lifestyle, career, reviews! Co-Editor for HerCampus Lancaster. Check out my instagram: conniemaitland