5 Reasons Why You Should Join A Society

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

1. Make new friends

At university, it seems as though everyone’s main priority in the first few weeks is to make friends, so what better way to do so than to join a society! Societies give you the best opportunity to expand your circle of friends beyond the people in your accommodation or on your course and find people who you have common interests with!

Image from UniBaggage 

2. Embrace university life to the fullest

A important part of university involves taking every opportunity that arises with both hands, as they are opportunities that you may never get again. It’s always better to do something you’ve never done before, then to live in regret of things you may have missed out on!

Take a look at the list of 200 societies at Lancaster University on our SU’s website: https://lancastersu.co.uk/groups

Image from ThoughtCo.com

3. Develop skills to improve your CV

Throughout your university career, you’ll constantly be told to do anything you can to boost your CV. Joining a society is an easy way to do this! From academic societies, to sports and active societies, there’s plenty of choice that will improve your employability, as you’ll be constantly learning new skills, and working towards a better version of yourself!

Image from BMA.org.uk

4. Maintain a healthy work-life balance

It’s easy to get caught up in the feeling of constantly needing to do work, but it can be an unhealthy habit. Being a part of a society is a friendly reminder to leave your accommodation to socialise and focus on something that isn’t necessarily academia. This will also help maintain a health lifestyle and improve your mental health!

Image from Coburg Banks

5. Have fun!

Finally, remember to have fun! Do something crazy, go outside of your comfort zone. You may never get an opportunity quite like the ones you get at university. No matter which society you chose to join, you can still make it fun, and make your university career the best years of your life!

Image from Real Business

Angharad Evans

Lancaster '19

Angharad is a third year Management and Human Resources student, and will be graduating in 2019. She's an enthusiastic blogger, and particularly enjoys writing lifestyle and uni life articles!
Helen Jordan

Lancaster '19

Helen is a third year English Language student and will graduate in 2019. Her favourite topics to write about include cooking and tips for uni life. This is Helen's second year writing for Her Campus and she is looking forward to her role as Chapter Correspondent for Lancaster in the 2018/2019 academic year.