4 Colours You Should Be Eating: The Food Blog

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Apart from sounding super cliché, “eating the rainbow” is actually a thing. And you should be following it. In the world of fruit and veg, there are four main colours you should be tempting your taste buds with.

1. Go Orange!

Eating the colour orange has been proven to have benefits on the overall health of a person. Food with this colour is packed with vitamins and nutrients which are great for your skin, heart and eyes.  Not to mention, the vitamin C boosts your immune system, protecting you all over. Basically, orange is your daily armour.

2. Team Green!

Who doesn’t love eating and eating and not worrying about the calorie content? I know I do! Well, with greens, you’ll never have to calorie count again. They contain large amounts of water, which means they rank extremely low on the calorie metre. Also, they contain almost no carbs, and the ones they do have are full of fibre, making you feel fuller for longer throughout the day. I’m on team green, are you joining anytime soon?

3. On Wednesdays, We Eat Red.

Wednesdays, and every other day, for that matter. The reds protect you from many forms of cancers and tumours, lower your blood pressure, help with arthritis (this may not seem like a big deal now, but you’ll thank me when you’re older), and keeps the health of your stomach in check. And let’s be real: everyone loves strawberries, raspberries and cherries.

4. Hello, Yellow.

Yellow is a happy colour, for the body and for the brain. It has been proven to help with intellect, and aids protection from cancer and tumour formation in the stomach, skin and breast area. Y’know when you’re feeling sick, and your grandma tells you to sip hot water with lemon juice? She means it. Any stomach pains will be gone before you know it. 

Mother tongue English, fully Italian. Born in Tokyo, lived in Hong Kong, grew up in Milan and currently studying at Lancaster University, UK. Multi lingual, I love to read, write, sing, cook and lead a healthy lifestyle. Her Campus Lancaster Editor in Chief as of April 2014!
English Language and Sociolinguistics student at Lancaster University. Writer, editor and soon to be teacher.Campus Correspondent for HC Lancaster: emilyhaigh@hercampus.com.Instagram: emilykatehaighTwitter: EMHAIGHx