Wellness

What is Reiki and Why You Should Try It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

First, what is Reiki?

Reiki originated in Japan and is a form of spiritual and energy healing. The practitioner is trained by a Reiki master and once they complete training they become Reiki masters themselves. A Reiki master will have you lay on a table, fully clothed, and then have you close your eyes as you drift into a meditative state. They will lightly place their hands over/on your body’s chakras. The Reiki master is a vessel to move and transfer energy as they cleanse your chakras. 

My Reiki Experience:

My most notable takeaways were that I saw many colors in front of my eyelids (while my eyes were closed), my body felt hot where the Reiki Masters hands touched, and, after the session, I felt very peaceful. 

At the end of my treatment, I was able to debrief with the practitioner and they were able to tell me what energy they saw/felt throughout the session. I learned that I have spirit animals that appeared in both sessions that have meaning in my day-to-day life. 

Overall, I was amazed by the powerful effect of Reiki. Despite being skeptical, I was able to see the calmness and healing that Reiki can provide. 

Why Should You Get a Reiki treatment too:

I would equate a Reiki treatment to a higher level of massage. Every day we are faced with energy, stress, and emotions coming into our lives. While most self-care methods (i.e. massages, pedicures, spas) only address the superficial issues, Reiki can release blocked energy pathways in our bodies that are the root of many problems (both mental and physical.) I think getting an attunement would benefit any college student considering the busy, high-stress lives that come along with living and learning on campus.