Ways to Practice Gratitude Even After Thanksgiving Ends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

Thanksgiving is a time where we take a moment to reflect on the family, friends, places, and experiences that we are grateful for. However, even after the holiday ends, there are many ways that we can continue to practice gratitude. Yes, it definitely can be difficult to accomplish this task  during a global pandemic. However, finding time to appreciate the positive aspects of our lives has been found to help relieve stress and focus attention away from negative emotions that we may be feeling. Try one or more of these tips below!

Gratitude in the morning

This exercise is probably the easiest way to practice thankfulness. When you wake up in the morning, think of one thing that you are grateful for. This can be anything from “I am grateful that the sun is shining today,” to “I am proud of myself for getting 8 hours of sleep last night.” A simple positive thought at the start of your day is a great way to begin your routine.

Meditation

Besides its many mental health benefits, meditation is a perfect opportunity to take the time and reflect on things that you appreciate in your life. There are a ton of guided meditations available on YouTube (search “gratitude meditation”) or apps such as Headspace or Calm, which range anywhere from 5-30 minutes depending on how long you want to meditate for. Find a quiet space where you can focus on yourself without any distractions, and use this moment to practice gratitude.

Journaling

Keeping a journal is an amazing way to express yourself creatively. You can make your journal as detailed or as simple as you want! Personally, I love to use colorful markers and pens to decorate my pages. The main takeaway is to write down a few notes or bullet points each day to remind yourself about the things you are thankful for. However, there is no wrong way to journal—write down any emotions that you may have that day, whether they be positive or negative. Without the difficult moments in your life, it would be harder to appreciate the experiences that make you smile.

Letter of gratitude

A letter of gratitude is an amazing way to directly express appreciation to someone who has had an impact on your life. This can range anywhere from a handwritten note to your mom thanking her for everything that she has done, or even a quick text to a friend to thank them for always being there for you. When we share gratitude with others, we spread positivity and recognize the value of our loved ones.

Live in the moment

With such easy access to our phones, it is almost like a reflex to take a picture or video of something that we think is interesting. However, although cliché, it is important to put down our cameras sometimes and simply live in the moment. For example, sitting on a beach or in the park are two amazing places to observe everything around you and appreciate the beauty of nature.  Paying attention to your surroundings is a great way to practice gratitude for the little things in life.

Even after Thanksgiving is over and all of the leftovers in the fridge are gone, there are still so many ways that we can practice gratitude in our everyday lives. I hope that these tips are helpful to encourage you to start!

Bridget Corpus

Lafayette '24

senior at lafayette!! biochem major & spanish minor :)
Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College