This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

As we approach the one year anniversary of when our world was placed on pause due to the pandemic, I wanted to share some of the little things to remember amidst this challenging time that bring joy. 

My absolute favorite season is spring. There’s something about the smell just after it rains that encourages you to simply wash away all worries, even if it’s just for a few moments. After a long, frigid winter, it feels as though the world is awakening from a deep sleep. Tulips appear in previously desolate flower beds, the grass becomes soft after months of frost, the Marquis de Lafayette statue is hidden as it is surrounded by beautiful dogwood flowers, and all just seems to come alive. Dreary rainy days are welcomed, for they bring new perspective and hope of a rainbow when the sun peaks through after a storm ceases. 

Last year it was difficult to take in these small and enlivening happenings that occurred around us. This year, as we have a new understanding of just how valuable time is, let’s take in those small joys that we would normally miss. Take time to yourself to appreciate the physical growth appearing around you, and let that inspire you as you move forward this semester. 

We are a third of the way through, and it is evident we aren’t in syllabus week anymore. We dove headfirst into exams, presentations, and research papers. It is easy to get caught up in the perpetual to-do list, but if you are able, make the time to dance in the rain. Or if you really dislike the rain, *insert* sunshine after a storm. That sounds cliche, but happy moments are central for our health and well-being. We are human beings. We feel. So let us take the proper time to understand ourselves, and set a path to stay grounded throughout this strenuous time. 

Claire Fedor

Lafayette '23

Sophomore, student-athlete, Government/Law and History double major at Lafayette College. Interests include book series, biking, and açai bowls :)
Layla Ennis

Lafayette '23

Junior at Lafayette College