Beat Your Cravings in College and Try These Healthy Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

Living a healthy lifestyle in college can be a challenge. Between the mouth-watering dessert display in the dining hall to the late-night pizza runs, you may soon find yourself in need of a new plan. Stock your mini-fridge with a snack ideas for your room that are practical, healthy, and delicious:

Hummus and Carrots – Instead of finishing off a bag of cool ranch Doritos, fuel your body with a handful of carrots with hummus. This nutritious snack will pack a punch, for the carrots are high in Vitamin A, K1, B6, as well as biotin and potassium and the hummus is an incredible source of plant based protein that reduces inflammation and can help regulate your blood sugar.

Assorted Nuts/Trail Mix – The options are endless when it comes to nuts. It is always a good idea to keep a container of mixed nuts in your room just to grab a handful when you get hungry or mix in with some dried cranberries or raisins for a nutritious pre-workout snack. US Health News mentioned the idea of DIY trail mix, where the author of “Younger Next Week,” Elisa Zied, “mixes nuts such as cashews and walnuts with dried raisins and a whole-grain cereal.” This is just another example of how versatile mixed nuts can be!

Anything with Peanut Butter – Peanut butter is another staple you need to have in your college dorm. You can eat it all by itself, with a banana or apple, on top of rice cakes, the options are endless! It is not only a great source of protein, but also healthy fats. If you are looking for a more nutrient-filled snack peanut butter, the Trader Joe’s peanut butter with chia and flax seeds will suit your needs. If you need a post workout snack or a quick appetite filler you are good to go after one tablespoon of peanut butter!

Skinny Pop – Whenever you get a craving for chips, Skinny Pop will be your healthy snack savior. This low calorie, low sodium popcorn is just as easy as it is delicious. Definitely keep this one on hand if you often find yourself reaching for a bag of potato chips or Cheetos.

Dark Chocolate – For those of you who have a sweet tooth, dark chocolate will be your best friend. Not only is it delicious, but it has incredible health benefits such as improving memory loss, fighting free radicals, preventing heart disease, and raising good cholesterol. So, not only are you satisfying your sweet craving, but you are fueling your body right!  Make sure it is at least 70% cacao if you want to receive the health benefits though! Godiva and Hershey both have chocolate bars that meet this requirement, making it super easy to get your hands on it.

Fruit – Most dining halls have fruit that you can grab and take back to your room, most popular being bananas and apples. Definitely take advantage of this and keep your room stocked up for a quick and easy snack.

The key to maintaining a healthy balance is stocking your dorm with healthy alternatives. That way, if you’re having a craving, you can only reach for healthy, nutritious foods!

Emma Piascik

Lafayette '21

coffee & book enthusiast
Krystyna Keller

Lafayette '21

Creating things since '98 Campus Correspondent for HC Lafayette